Renoise For Arm-Based Windows And Linux

I feel that there are several reasons that the developers should start working on an ARM port of renoise for linux, and in the coming months, for Windows 8.

• There are a growing number of increasingly powerful tablets available, and the prices continue to become more reasonable.
  • Certain ARM-based Android tablets currently allow linux to be installed on them.
  • ARM-based tablets with linux pre-installed are coming in the near future.
  • Windows 8 will be fully functional on ARM based devices, and will dominate the tablet market later this year. Beta reported to be available january 23rd.
  • Despite the fact that a touch based device is not ideal for working in renoise, these tablets support bluetooth mice and keyboards, and some currently available tablets already sport full USB ports.
  • With a bit of work, a “tablet mode” option could be put into settings that makes editing with a touch interface a bit more usable
  • Multi-touch would allow one to use Duplex on the device itself, without requiring a separate device.

I do not own a tablet, but the idea of a full computer in a slate with multi-touch is VERY intriguing to me. Nothing like curling up on the couch with renoise :)

I’m always on the lookout for Android trackers. I keep coming up with, what, Nanoloop and MilkyTracker shudder … nothing studio quality in there.

It’s hard to tell if Win8 will actually take off on tablets. Looking at the past: 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8… for some reason, every second consumer-oriented major version of Windows since '95 has been a lemon.

Perhaps, an ARM port should focus on where the money currently is: iPad. Maybe even Android tablets. I wouldn’t bet a dime on Win8 tablets just yet.

This will then also be the most generic purpose Renoise would be installed for no such device, but Duplex is still a tool. It is the tool that has been put on a pedestal by the Renoise team, but still a tool that is optional.

Well, if you desire multitouch and Renoise, then i suggest you to purchase the Indamixx 2 Tablet Meego and tell us your experience…