Renoise for video

Last night I had a dream about putting a piece of video into one of the instrument slots and cutting it up with the tracker interface the same way I would glitch and mangle a sample. The resulting video was like a music video or the visuals they show in clubs and concerts. This got me thinking what a “Renoise for Video” could look like. Video synthesizers could generate interesting color patterns to modulate. We could string out video filters the way we build signal chains, with LFOs and automation creating rhythmic effects. All of this creative power with a tracker workflow! Wouldn’t that be amazing? What a dream…

3 Likes

nice dream! :upside_down_face:

check out Magic Music Visuals… not a tracker, but the way you can string bits of video dsp together reminds me somewhat of renoise

3 Likes

I currently use FL’s ZGameEditor Visualizer for this. Works very good. To bad, there is no VST plugin.

1 Like

There’s also PhotoMosh Pro! I use it for most everything.

2 Likes

Wow this looks awesome!

I already suggested a video track where you could do exactly this years ago, but i have my doubts it will ever be realized.
Blender could visualize anything you can imagine. You won’t be learning it in one day, but there are lots of tutorials on youtube to teach you. I’m actually working on a tutorial on how to use Renoise audio tracks to manipulate things in Blender right now.
I wonder how difficult it would be to make an addon for blender that could communicate with Renoise somehow? “Renoise Blender Bender addon” :smiley:

2 Likes

Last night I had a dream about putting a piece of video into one of the instrument slots and cutting it up with the tracker interface the same way I would glitch and mangle a sample.

I wrote a Renoise tool for this a few years ago, though the focus was on chopping the video’s audio and then duplicating the video edits on the backend using ffmpeg. It was fun but too buggy for public release and the code has kind of rotted since. If anyone is interested I might dig it up!

1 Like