Renoise freezed and doesn't open anymore (Mac)

Hey guys!

I was working on Renoise and when I saved my project it freezed, so I had to force quit it. Now when I try to open Renoise it halts to the point where it is “Starting MIDI subsystems”.

I got version 3.4.1 running on Macbook Pro / Monterey. I’ve got this setup approx. 2 years now, it’s not connected to internet and I haven’t installed any new plugins or updates. It’s been a completely closed system.

Anyone got any ideas, how to fix this? Thanks!

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Yes, tried restarting my computer but that didn’t help. I also installed Renoise 3.4.2 but the same problem exists with that one too.

Here’s what the log file looks like, if someone can find out from that what’s the problem.

============================================================
Version : Renoise V3.4.1 (Mar 25 2022)
Date : 2024-02-17
Time : 14:26:06

CPU: Found 10 enabled unit(s) with 1 core(s) and 1 logical processor(s) per unit. 10 cores, 10 logical processors are enabled in total.

Application: Showing the splash window…
Application: Initializing the API…

CoreAudio: Enumerating devices…
CoreAudio: ======== device enumeration: 1 of 3 ========
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: — Device Input information —
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: External Headphones
CoreAudio: GetStreamFormat FAILED
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: — Device Output information —
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: External Headphones
CoreAudio: SampleRate: 48000.000000
CoreAudio: mFormatID: ‘mcpl’
CoreAudio: Flags: 0x 9
CoreAudio: Bytes per packet: 8
CoreAudio: Frames per packet: 1
CoreAudio: Bytes per frame: 8
CoreAudio: Channels per frame: 2
CoreAudio: Bits per channel: 32
CoreAudio: Device audio buffers:
CoreAudio: Number of buffers: 1
CoreAudio: – Buffer 0 –
CoreAudio: Number of channels: 2
CoreAudio: Size in bytes: 4096
CoreAudio: Total number of output channels: 2
CoreAudio: ======== device enumeration: 2 of 3 ========
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: MacBook Pro Microphone
CoreAudio: Bytes per packet: 4
CoreAudio: Bytes per frame: 4
CoreAudio: Channels per frame: 1
CoreAudio: Number of channels: 1
CoreAudio: Size in bytes: 2048
CoreAudio: Total number of input channels: 1
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: MacBook Pro Microphone
CoreAudio: ======== device enumeration: 3 of 3 ========
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: MacBook Pro Speakers
CoreAudio:
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple Inc.: MacBook Pro Speakers
CoreAudio: Bytes per packet: 8
CoreAudio: Bytes per frame: 8
CoreAudio: Channels per frame: 2
CoreAudio: Number of channels: 2
CoreAudio: Size in bytes: 4096
CoreAudio: Total number of output channels: 2

CoreMIDI: Creating client ‘Renoise’…
CoreMIDI: Creating an input port…
CoreMIDI: Creating an output port…
CoreMIDI: Creating a virtual input port…

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage…

System: Using ‘/Applications/Renoise.app/Contents/Resources/’ as resource base directory…

GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine…

System: Executing ‘/Applications/Renoise.app/Contents/Resources/AudioPluginServer_x86_64.app/Contents/MacOS/RenoisePluginServer --enumerate /var/folders/qm/g8r3dc0x5ms6yhsb8b0vvlph0000gn/T/Renoise-0-660/Renoise_TmpFile-0-0.tmp’

Hi,

I’m not on my mac at this moment and I’m suggesting it from top of my head but try this:

Right click on renoise icon in your applications folder- choose “show package contents” and look for folder called “crash” or something like this - delete all contents in it.

I hope this helps

Hi hexy,

Thanks for trying to help. Tried finding the folder but couldn’t find anything like that. Also, I’d like to be sure it’s not anything crucial before deleting anything.

Anyone has any other ideas how to fix this?

Delete FIRST the folder com.renoise.renoise in:
~/Library/Caches/ and run Renoise.

MAKE SURE you run Renoise natively. Not in Rosetta emulation mode:

(Don’t ask for different app icon here, because I have customized it for my needs).

You can also try this: go to ~/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.[n]
and move Config.xml file (to the Trash), then run Renoise.

Agree. Usually deleting cache and settings is the way to go.

I proceeded to removing Renoise and all related files I could find on my computer and then installed a version 3.4.3 as adviced elsewhere.

But it still halts to the same point “Starting MIDI subsystems”.

The ~/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.3 folder is now empty, so can’t edit or delete Config.xml. Also there is no com.renoise.renoise folder in ~/Library/Caches/. There is a com.renoise.pluginserver folder but removing that doesn’t fix the problem either.

Anyone has any ideas what to try next?

I’ve never used an apple machine, but Windows has restore points. Where you can revert to previous configuration of your OS, without affecting your files. Perhaps your Mac has a similar option?

Considering it crashes on the midi subsystems, have you looked into your audio/midi configuration?

If you’re using an external audio interface, try disconnecting it from your computer. Same for any midi peripherals you might have connected.

I don’t know how it works on mac but reinstalling those kind of drivers might also be worth a shot.

1 Like

What happens, if you run another midi daw? Like reaper for example. If this crashes, too it might really be something about Midi.

I’ve never used MIDI or any outboard gear and literally changed nothing on System or Renoise preferences.

Timemachine would have been a salvation, but didn’t see this coming and didn’t use it. Lucky enough I’ve backed up all the project files, so would be ready to roll again when I get the Renoise working.

Would an OS reinstall be an option for you? Again coming from a windows perspective, there you can do a reinstall while retaining all your apps, files and settings. Would that be possible on Mac? Maybe that would fix it. Though if a completely fresh install is an option for you I’d go for that. Assuming you’ve got stuff backed up, of course.

What’s installed under /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers? (default is empty dir)

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist and immediately reboot macos.

Also update to the recent version of Monterey, because it had quite a lot of bugs and also memory leaks, which were fixed with 12.6.1+ or so, also then bringing a new hypervisor or whatever.

^This for fixing problems with midi, but your log actually does not seem to stop at midi stuff.

Then try this:

1. Close Renoise / Exit all vst hosts
  2. Rename /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins_ or so
  3. Start Renoise, load your song
  4. Ok it loads (with lot of missing plugin warnings), close Renoise, rename back Audio-Plugins
  5. Open Renoise, open your song, then open Activity Monitor, search for “renoise”
  6. There should be one “Renoise plugin server” listed, double click it, go to tab “opened files”, search for “Plug-Ins” in the listed text
  7. What’s the line you find, which plugin is bridged here? Close Renoise and remove that plugin from Plug-Ins directory, then reload your project. Repeat from point 5 until song loads.

If Renoise even doesn’t start without a song loaded, try the first approach. Did you save a default template song? Look for a Renoise plugin server then, after Renoise hangs.

@ffx the /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers folder is empty and there is no com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist file in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder. Tried renaming the Plug-Ins folder and starting Renoise, but it still doesn’t start. As I mentioned before I’ve removed the version which originally froze and then installed the latest version. That I’ve never been able to start. Search in the Finder can’t find TemplateSong and I can’t be sure if there was one before removing the earlier versions of Renoise. I had not opened or saved such songs however when the issue emerged.

I think I’m gonna try and create a new user profile on my computer next and then try to open Renoise from there. Hopefully the problem is related to some preferences on my personal user account and the new account fixes it. If not I’m not sure if there is anything else left than a factory reset. I’ll let you guys know when I’ve tried that. Thanks everyone who has tried to help!

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan, also JFYI a reinstall / overinstall usually fixes nothing. So I would skip that simply.

But also try to update to the recent Monterey, as I remember there actually were bugs in midi part or so…

Also try to disable bluetooth completely, just in case…

Are you sure that you looked into your users Library dir? I think that config file should be there in any case, and if not, it will be recreated by the system.

I am not sure if there now is a option in macos to hide all system files, did you disable that? I also disabled system integrity protection, as it is completely useless and and protects the system from the user instead, also produces a lot of maintainance problems.

Hell yeah! Creating a new user profile and starting Renoise from there finally worked.

Now I only have to find a way to get access from the new user profile to all the project files, samples and plugins on the original one. Wouldn’t really want to share each folder individually as there are hundreds and I’m not really on my comfort zone with the terminal either.

Thanks again to everyone trying to help! Such a releaf to get things sorted. :slight_smile:

Also, if anyone knows how to minimize the window in Renoise please let me know. Choosing Window > Minimize just makes “blob” sound and does nothing else.

2 Likes

Hahah… You are in the Full Screen mode, so Minimize does not work (and this is why it makes system error sound)… Exit Full Screen mode (Option+Return keys combination), then Minimize option will work normally.

@Tomek Hahah, thanks for the tip!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.