Renoise iOS - again

I see a suggestion from back in june 2017. its feb 2k20 iOS has grown incredibly along with the power of iOS devices. I love korg gadget, its sick, and demonstrates even an iphone XR is a device capable of legit high quality audio production. Gadget is the best available but if i had access to the capabilities of renoise along with all the great iOS audio units on the go it would revolutionize creation for myself and surely quite a few other people. The touch interface could be utilized in fun and interesting ways and thus increase the potential for renoise as a live performance tool considerably. Is it time for this yet in anyone elseā€™s minds ?

Lets brainstorm on how to best add touch controls to renoise for the better and see what this community can come up with. obviously time shouldnā€™t be wasted on an android port, they just donā€™t pay for stuff on that platform, not a comment on quality just the behavior of users.

i prefer Redux as AUM plug-in
especially fo Patterning, its more flexible (Grid) an faster (Touch optimized) on iOS as an Tracker (Keyboard) Interface.

Hi everyone, Iā€™m new to the forum as I havenā€™t tried Renoise yet.

But I find the idea of running a tracker on a pocketable device like an iPhone/iPad very interesting.

Sure there will be needed some adaptation for touch screen devices, you canā€™t just port the software with the same UI as itā€™s a lot based on keyboard input.

The portability aspect and the proximity of the screen to the user I believe really makes sense and I believe there should at least be an attempt to adapt.

I may try SunVox or VividTracker in the meantime, but are there any other choices at the moment on iOS ?

You will have eyes of a hawk!

1 Like

So the first thing you do when entering for the first time in the forum is make re guests and never used Renoise before.You must be 10 years old i guess or i troll from apple

stoiximan
Is this the way new users are welcomed in this forum ? I would expect to be better welcomed even if I actually was 10 years old.
Is renoise like a closed club we have to show skills and anteriority to be accepted ?
Iā€™m actually exploring the demo right now. I have been using mainly Ableton since almost its first editions.
I find the concept of trackers very interesting for having really discovered it on recently announced devices such as the Polyend Tracker or the Xor pocket tracker.
And yes I find it would be interesting to have serious attempt to make an iOS (or Android) tracker DAW, and it looks like Iā€™m not the only one, even in this forum.
Renoise knew how to modernise trackers from the 80s style to todayā€™s. So itā€™s probably a good challenge to try repeating this with mobile devices.
Sorry for disturbing the legacy way of thinking and not being part of this legacy !

Btw

stoiximan ĪˆĻ„ĻƒĪ¹ Ī¼Īµ ĪŗĪ±Ī»Ļ‰ĻƒĪæĻĪÆĪ¶ĪµĪ¹Ļ‚ ; :slight_smile:

1 Like

Neurononeuro Do you know the BYSC technique ? (Bring your screen closer) :slight_smile:

And thatā€™s what kids do. Playinā€™ grab-ass on their portable Nintendo. What youā€™ve got is a good idea for people with an actual desire to strap an iPad to their face :grinning: Really, Iā€™m joking. That being said, Iā€™m way too old to be messing around with music on a portable device other than field recording with a microphone. Good luck, hawk-eye!

Neurononeuro I have found my creativity to be better on the move than sat on a desk. Even if that might not be good for my eyes.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s some trackers on iOS already and none of them feel natural to use (the three off the top of my head are SunVox, VividTracker and SidTracker64). I would really like to have just the sampler engine as an AUv3 plugin. Sorta like an even more stripped down Redux. Just one instrument, no patterns (or, no pattern editing?); instead, just have the keyzones, waveform, modulation and effects tabs. I would kill for this! Iā€™ve been more and more transitioning to Renoise from Ableton Live and being able to load instruments I create on desktop on iOS would be amazing!!

I really like AUM and using AUv3 midi plugins. The sampler in BeatMaker 3 is pretty much the most comparable to Renoise (since you can do a LOT of modulation, etc). But, the sequencer in BM3 ā€¦ I hate it ā€¦ it is NOT for me (not to mention, it crashes so so so often). Having the Renoise sampler engine as an AUv3 plugin would be pretty much the best thing.

2 Likes

cykranoh I think technically as per the way iOS works, it can be both a standalone app and provide an aum interface for third-party apps.

Actually, with the most recent iPadOS, mouse and keyboard are a lot more ā€¦ integrated ā€¦ so, maybe using a tracker wouldnā€™t feel as awkward using mouse and keyboard ā€¦ but, touchscreen trackers just feel ā€¦ weird. Though, a standalone version that can also load AUv3 plugins would be really cool. I donā€™t think you can load an AUv3 plugin inside of another AUv3 plugin, though? So, I donā€™t think you could build an instrument that uses external plugins in the standalone app and then load that instrument in an AUv3 version of it? As far as Iā€™ve seen, this isnā€™t possible?

But, there are plenty of AUv3 plugins that are ā€œself-hostedā€ for standalone usage (at least, I assume thatā€™s how theyā€™re doing that, so that they wouldnā€™t have to rework much of the code).

At least I will have learned something in this forum if I look at the two first responses I got.
It looks like iOS software is just for kids :slightly_smiling_face:

cycranosh I know there are music apps that are both standalone full fledged apps and can also present as aum virtual devices. Most synths are so. But you are right, itā€™s not sure if these can also load aum plugins. Iā€™ve mostly seen this in synth apps, not daws. If true that would mean that should remain two different apps/projects. And the aum plugin of redux could be a good starting point before experimenting renoise on a touch interface.

I am sorry but you sounded like a troll in your first post and was about to flag you.Anyway welcome and no hard feelings ok Ļ†Ī¹Ī»Ī±ĻĪ¬ĪŗĪ¹?:blush:

3 Likes

What @stoixman said - welcome!

3 Likes

stoiximan I prefer that ! btw for the anecdote. I have worked for Apple a long while ago. Hopefully that didnā€™t make of me an Apple troll yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try out SunVox on an iPad (or, iPhone, but itā€™s basically unusable even on a larger screen one ā€¦ that, or, Iā€™m just old and blind haha). The tracker interface feels clunky as all hell. The actual synth engine in SunVox is amazing! Iā€™ve been considering just building interesting instruments on desktop SunVox to load onto my iPad, because ā€¦ just about everything thatā€™s cross-platform thatā€™s also on on iOS just feels so fiddly.

I have a 5th or 6th gen iPad and I bought a cheapo stylus to use with it. And, honestly, thatā€™s been a HUGE help!! It makes precise editing a LOOOOOT easier! Like, trying to edit Audio Damageā€™s Axon is actually possible now!! :smiley: But, I think a stylus approach to SunVox (or, Renoise/Redux on iOS) might be better overall.

2 Likes

cykranosh what about an iPad with keyboard/trackpad combo accessory ? That would make for a good on-the go tracker, with lots of capacity for samples or sound sources built in.