Renoise Natives Compo - Round I #BREAKBEATZ *closed*

I already started when LOB’s Vid named the style, and the nice flyer makes me really want to do it! Already busy with fresh project for this with having sample royalities in mind. I hope aberrations of “saw_c1” samples are OK to use for this, as they are de facto licensed by the renoise crew, and I’ve already been busy with trying to replace all convolvers with hardware reverb IRs for custom crafted ones and then only use such. Atm all the stars seem shining bright for this project though it is still in preliminary state, and there is so much time left to try the best on this.

I hope there will be lots of people entering it, uploading songs with nice native instruments for others to use in their tunes! There’s too little good free renoise content atm, hope this compo will counteract that shortage.

Of curiosity, have you yet plans on how to choose the winner, who will do and what will happen then? Will the tribe’s medicine man spit in the air, hop three times around the vilage scare chanting, and then the contestant with the brightest aura and most stars falling onto him/her in the vision of the shaman, will get the mark of chacoal on the forehead & a place for his skull in the vilage hut reserved, should he fall in battle against the ableton tribe one day…

I already started when LOB’s Vid named the style, and the nice flyer makes me really want to do it! Already busy with fresh project for this with having sample royalities in mind. I hope aberrations of “saw_c1” samples are OK to use for this, as they are de facto licensed by the renoise crew, and I’ve already been busy with trying to replace all convolvers with hardware reverb IRs for custom crafted ones and then only use such. Atm all the stars seem shining bright for this project though it is still in preliminary state, and there is so much time left to try the best on this.

I hope there will be lots of people entering it, uploading songs with nice native instruments for others to use in their tunes! There’s too little good free renoise content atm, hope this compo will counteract that shortage.

Of curiosity, have you yet plans on how to choose the winner, who will do and what will happen then? Will the tribe’s medicine man spit in the air, hop three times around the vilage scare chanting, and then the contestant with the brightest aura and most stars falling onto him/her in the vision of the shaman, will get the mark of chacoal on the forehead & a place for his skull in the vilage hut reserved, should he fall in battle against the ableton tribe one day…

BROOOOOO so cool you’re on board :slight_smile:

well my buddy

El°HYM

and i decided …one winner per round :slight_smile:

if this goes as you mention and people show enthusiasm …and submit songs for the compo one winner based on votes its going to be the thing :yeah: :drummer: :guitar:

i just want to let you guys know …that since this competition its for the most part native (97%)

using the CDP tool…would open many doors for sound design

just saying !!! :panic:

Well, the CDP Tool (which is a great concept) does not work on my linux battle station. And apparently that is a problem for a lot of other linux users as well. Even despite the great tutorial, this has never worked on my machine. Just saying :slight_smile:

Well, the CDP Tool (which is a great concept) does not work on my linux battle station. And apparently that is a problem for a lot of other linux users as well. Even despite the great tutorial, this has never worked on my machine. Just saying :slight_smile:

What is not working? does give any error messages? Since, here on my debian box is workes great…

Oh yes, and maybe stupid question huh. but we can sample breaks i guess… since round one is breakbeat…

Hey lilith seems I’m in a similar boat to you… ! (Nice avatar, any idea what the instrument is that Sleazy was praying with?)

So much to learn… .

@ulrikkold I have the CDP Tool running on linux. Was a bit of hassle - I needed to compile CDP myself, and I needed to fix it before doing so to get all the processors. I described in the CDP tool page thread with a patch diff that fixes the source so it will compile everything: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466

PM me if you need assistance getting it running. I will try to help you.

i just made this drumkit

Nice little freebie to help people get started, but I have to nit-pick just a little bit :slight_smile:

Many of the samples are not quite trimmed cleanly, giving them a small click/pop at the very end, and it’s quite noticeable on the C#3 sound and snare on D-3 in particular.

The kit has also been rendered with reverb on top which is actually bleeding from sample to sample, making them a bit less useful as standalone/oneshot sounds.

For example, the clave/bell type sound on D#3 can be heard reverberating into the tom on E-3, and even into the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

I would recommend rendering to sample without the reverb applied if possible, to get nice clean (and short!) drum sounds, and then simply add the reverb back as a realtime DSP if it’s necessary to the overall sound.

Cheers!

Nice little freebie to help people get started, but I have to nit-pick just a little bit :slight_smile:

Many of the samples are not quite trimmed cleanly, giving them a small click/pop at the very end, and it’s quite noticeable on the C#3 sound and snare on D-3 in particular.

The kit has also been rendered with reverb on top which is actually bleeding from sample to sample, making them a bit less useful as standalone/oneshot sounds.

For example, the clave/bell type sound on D#3 can be heard reverberating into the tom on E-3, and even into the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

I would recommend rendering to sample without the reverb applied if possible, to get nice clean (and short!) drum sounds, and then simply add the reverb back as a DSP if it’s necessary to the overall sound.

Cheers!

thanks for pointing this out …

i didn’t trim the samples by hand i use the slice feature and then destructively separated the individual hits :frowning:

and at that time …i rendered the samples with reverb because i was using …one of my vsts reverbs :frowning:

which are cool

in the trim case …my bad …so sorry … but the bleeding reverb tail can be easily fixed with a fadeout …in each sample …ill fix the kit and …upload it again

the bleeding reverb tail can be easily fixed

I just meant that the sound on D#3 can be heard quietly in the background of the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

In other words, it’s impossible to play the high hats by themselves without also hearing some of the residual reverb from D#3.

Just a small thing to consider that may limit the creative options a little bit. No big deal really :slight_smile:

I just meant that the sound on D#3 can be heard quietly in the background of the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

In other words, it’s impossible to play the high hats by themselves without also hearing some of the residual reverb from D#3.

Just a small thing to consider that may limit the creative options a little bit. No big deal really :slight_smile:

thanks for your time in checking out the instrument Dblue :slight_smile:

yeah already working on fixing it :slight_smile:

Just want to chime in, as rules are no VST reverb. And renoise Reverbs are very brittle and metallic and have no good space feel. But renoise has a native convolver device which can do very nice reverb sounds!

I have made a thread how you can capture a reverb VST with its current settings to use in the renoise convolver. The convolver is a native device, and it is basically fed with a sample that defines the captured reverb and is preserved within the preset data.

Here read how I do it: https://forum.renoise.com/t/generating-own-irs-for-the-convolver-from-plugins-in-renoise/48700

It is a bit fiddling, and the convolver eats some CPU, but you will get very close in result to the reverb VST you captured.

@LOB if you wish to make a cpu friendly drumkit with your reverb baked to it, first slice then destructively render slices to get keymapped oneshot samples. Make an instrument effects chain with the reverb of your choice, and tune it to taste. Once you’re satisfied with the results, you can render DSP FX from FX Chain for each of the samples, each can get its own reverb tail. Maybe you will need to add silence to contain the reverb tail, I’m not sure atm. This way you can also have different Reverb settings for each drum hit or drum type. Then you can remove the Reverb VST.

@LOB if you wish to make a cpu friendly drumkit with your reverb baked to it, first slice then destructively render slices to get keymapped oneshot samples. Make an instrument effects chain with the reverb of your choice, and tune it to taste. Once you’re satisfied with the results, you can render DSP FX from FX Chain for each of the samples, each can get its own reverb tail. Maybe you will need to add silence to contain the reverb tail, I’m not sure atm. This way you can also have different Reverb settings for each drum hit or drum type. Then you can remove the Reverb VST.

thanks man

i updated the kit uploading it right now :slight_smile:

download link in the video description

the breakbeat kit updated :slight_smile:

this time fixing the errors :slight_smile: :drummer:

What is not working? does give any error messages? Since, here on my debian box is workes great…

Well, guess I have to go back and check what does not work - I haven’t tried to use it in a long time since it did not work as I expected it to, when I tried compiling and installing it a (long) while ago.

Also, I can see that OopsIFly has linked to a thread and a patch which I might have some luck with. Thanks for giving me hope again :slight_smile:

@ulrikkold I have the CDP Tool running on linux. Was a bit of hassle - I needed to compile CDP myself, and I needed to fix it before doing so to get all the processors. I described in the CDP tool page thread with a patch diff that fixes the source so it will compile everything: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466

PM me if you need assistance getting it running. I will try to help you.

I also tried compiling it myself by going through this guide from Vorpal Sound:http://vorpalsound.com/vs/cdp-setup-guide/ - but I just ran my head against a wall.

I will try to look into both the “official” CDP guide for linux ( https://www.renoise.com/blog/linux-cdp-tool-guide ) and take a look at the thread you linked to.

I will get back to you if I need assistance. Thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

Of course #breakbeats are allowed in this competition; just also submit/upload the #xrni file & keep in mind that they need to be #royalty free. :drummer:

Oh yes, and maybe stupid question huh. but we can sample breaks i guess… since round one is breakbeat…

Can you please explain what constitutes a ‘Royalty Free’ break? I’m working on a tune with some stuff from the bourbon breaks pack. I’m processing and chopping everything to the point where it isn’t really that recognizable anymore. If I destructively render out my modified version of the break before distributing the xrns would that be sufficient? The original, unmodified sample would not be present anywhere in my submission.

if the bourbon breaks pack are free to download from this site i think you can use them !!

Awesome! Thanks

All in all…this is already pretty awesome!

:drummer: Thanks to everyone involved so far.

Hey lilith seems I’m in a similar boat to you… ! (Nice avatar, any idea what the instrument is that Sleazy was praying with?)

So much to learn… .

Looks a bit like something from Teenage Engineering, but I guess it’s homebuilt (mabye by Chris Carter?)