Renoise Natives Compo - Round I #BREAKBEATZ *closed*

the bleeding reverb tail can be easily fixed

I just meant that the sound on D#3 can be heard quietly in the background of the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

In other words, it’s impossible to play the high hats by themselves without also hearing some of the residual reverb from D#3.

Just a small thing to consider that may limit the creative options a little bit. No big deal really :slight_smile:

I just meant that the sound on D#3 can be heard quietly in the background of the high hats on F-3 and F#3.

In other words, it’s impossible to play the high hats by themselves without also hearing some of the residual reverb from D#3.

Just a small thing to consider that may limit the creative options a little bit. No big deal really :slight_smile:

thanks for your time in checking out the instrument Dblue :slight_smile:

yeah already working on fixing it :slight_smile:

Just want to chime in, as rules are no VST reverb. And renoise Reverbs are very brittle and metallic and have no good space feel. But renoise has a native convolver device which can do very nice reverb sounds!

I have made a thread how you can capture a reverb VST with its current settings to use in the renoise convolver. The convolver is a native device, and it is basically fed with a sample that defines the captured reverb and is preserved within the preset data.

Here read how I do it: https://forum.renoise.com/t/generating-own-irs-for-the-convolver-from-plugins-in-renoise/48700

It is a bit fiddling, and the convolver eats some CPU, but you will get very close in result to the reverb VST you captured.

@LOB if you wish to make a cpu friendly drumkit with your reverb baked to it, first slice then destructively render slices to get keymapped oneshot samples. Make an instrument effects chain with the reverb of your choice, and tune it to taste. Once you’re satisfied with the results, you can render DSP FX from FX Chain for each of the samples, each can get its own reverb tail. Maybe you will need to add silence to contain the reverb tail, I’m not sure atm. This way you can also have different Reverb settings for each drum hit or drum type. Then you can remove the Reverb VST.

@LOB if you wish to make a cpu friendly drumkit with your reverb baked to it, first slice then destructively render slices to get keymapped oneshot samples. Make an instrument effects chain with the reverb of your choice, and tune it to taste. Once you’re satisfied with the results, you can render DSP FX from FX Chain for each of the samples, each can get its own reverb tail. Maybe you will need to add silence to contain the reverb tail, I’m not sure atm. This way you can also have different Reverb settings for each drum hit or drum type. Then you can remove the Reverb VST.

thanks man

i updated the kit uploading it right now :slight_smile:

download link in the video description

the breakbeat kit updated :slight_smile:

this time fixing the errors :slight_smile: :drummer:

What is not working? does give any error messages? Since, here on my debian box is workes great…

Well, guess I have to go back and check what does not work - I haven’t tried to use it in a long time since it did not work as I expected it to, when I tried compiling and installing it a (long) while ago.

Also, I can see that OopsIFly has linked to a thread and a patch which I might have some luck with. Thanks for giving me hope again :slight_smile:

@ulrikkold I have the CDP Tool running on linux. Was a bit of hassle - I needed to compile CDP myself, and I needed to fix it before doing so to get all the processors. I described in the CDP tool page thread with a patch diff that fixes the source so it will compile everything: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-cdp-lua-tool/41466

PM me if you need assistance getting it running. I will try to help you.

I also tried compiling it myself by going through this guide from Vorpal Sound:http://vorpalsound.com/vs/cdp-setup-guide/ - but I just ran my head against a wall.

I will try to look into both the “official” CDP guide for linux ( https://www.renoise.com/blog/linux-cdp-tool-guide ) and take a look at the thread you linked to.

I will get back to you if I need assistance. Thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

Of course #breakbeats are allowed in this competition; just also submit/upload the #xrni file & keep in mind that they need to be #royalty free. :drummer:

What is not working? does give any error messages? Since, here on my debian box is workes great…

Oh yes, and maybe stupid question huh. but we can sample breaks i guess… since round one is breakbeat…

Can you please explain what constitutes a ‘Royalty Free’ break? I’m working on a tune with some stuff from the bourbon breaks pack. I’m processing and chopping everything to the point where it isn’t really that recognizable anymore. If I destructively render out my modified version of the break before distributing the xrns would that be sufficient? The original, unmodified sample would not be present anywhere in my submission.

if the bourbon breaks pack are free to download from this site i think you can use them !!

Awesome! Thanks

All in all…this is already pretty awesome!

:drummer: Thanks to everyone involved so far.

Hey lilith seems I’m in a similar boat to you… ! (Nice avatar, any idea what the instrument is that Sleazy was praying with?)

So much to learn… .

Looks a bit like something from Teenage Engineering, but I guess it’s homebuilt (mabye by Chris Carter?)

oh man lets turn this acid :slight_smile:

Since the theme for this round is Breaks, I thought I would share this little tutorial from Vorpal Sound / Emre:http://vorpalsound.com/vs/renoise-redux-breaks/

Since the theme for this round is Breaks, I thought I would share this little tutorial from Vorpal Sound / Emre:http://vorpalsound.com/vs/renoise-redux-breaks/

yeah this tutorial is awesome …

one of the 1st tutorials i …discovered in vorpal sound…

along with his tut on how to install cpd tool …for windows

I already made a track for this, but i noticed you wrote

• Do we have to keep everything as a renoise instrument? >>> Yes & Please submit #xrns & #xrni files.

What exactly do you mean with this? Why would you need xrni’s when all the xrni’s are already a part of the xrns? You can’t seriously expect me to export all the 20-30 single sample instruments to each their own xrni?

Also, it’s impossible for me to find out if any of the samples i downloaded from random places on the internet are all completely royalty free. As long as it goes under ‘fair use’ it should be enough imo.

Maybe thats a bit too much then…the idea was to provide content to these forums, so if people also submit their #xrni files, this would be a nice addition to the download section. But in your case. or its like 30,40,50 instruments; the #xrns file should be more than enough :ph34r:

Maybe thats a bit too much then…the idea was to provide content to these forums, so if people also submit their #xrni files, this would be a nice addition to the download section. But in your case. or its like 30,40,50 instruments; the #xrns file should be more than enough :ph34r:

Honestly i think instead of adding valuable content to the download section it rather clutters it up adding a lot of nonsense instruments. I don’t think i’m the only one that finds this a bit problematic, because xrni is so powerful i feel a bit betrayed when someone uploads a single sample as an xrni with no macros or phrases or anything.

Xrns is an xrni container, so to me it makes much more sense to open the xrns and listen to the instruments in context and save the ones you like. Much less time consuming than to downlad a bunch of instruments, then find out how they sound and then delete the ones you don’t like or let them clutter up your drive. I also prefer saving my samples as samples and not xrni’s. :wink:

please only require a song render and an .xrns - should be prove enough to find no plugins have been used. you can still extract .xrnis from the .xrns to put into the download section, not let the composer do it but the compo team maybe, or in collective effort by the community. this way you can also try to ensure the royalty aspect of the samples used. you should expect a lot of people just using “free” samples, but still having copyright applied in regards of distribution of the original raw sample itself. you can demand free samples as much as you like, there still will be stray licensed in every tune, to the point of making the whole compo obsolete if you disqualify every tune that features just a little licensed sample.

my samples are so very royal, they already demanded being addressed with some proper application of the pluralis majestis. also they tend to insert peasant instruments if placed too close to instruments using the saw_c1, or even the very lowly sine_c1. I think they just dislike being too close commoners. Not sure what I want to do to deal with it. I guess I have to replace sine/saw_c1 with some cycles recorded from vst or generated from own code?

otherwise I try to use samples from “converse rubber tracks”, they seem to have a very liberal license, and good microphones, very royal sound, gown almost purple and very stringent air around the nostrils - no crown yet, but already some wicked plans of ursupation going on.

I like the idea of maybe just picking a few of the best instruments for the #xrni section & leave the submission uploads just audio/xrns;

Yet me didnt start this one on my own, so I would also like for @LandOf Bits to add his thoughts here, which should be no prob, though.

This all started so quickly and got received in a very positive way & Way more than we expected; that it was obvious from the beginning,

that some things might have to be changed on the fly. So with this said: constructive criticism or adding positive ideas are very welcome.