Renoise On Freebsd Starts Up Well... But!

Hello,
i bought Renoise time ago and i’m really proud, i think it’s the definitive tracker application. I use it on Windows and Linux.

I switched to FreeBSD and i see that it’s a far more reliable OS than Linux, so i just wanted to try using Renoise with the help of Linux binary compatibility. It does start up well and it seems that it’s functionality is good, by modifying a couple lines in the install script i was able to install it on my system.

I haven’t already lost the hope for making it work with JACK, but by posting here i just wanted to ask for opinions and not for troubleshooting (as FreeBSD is not supported).

I see that almost every *nix (including Linux) use OSS for audio, that would be much simpler for developing than ALSA (although it’s referred as DEPRECATED in the Linux kernel, it’s actually not.)
I wish to know if someone else thinks that would be useful to have OSS support in Renoise, as it may make possible to run renoise on many *nixes (with linux binary compatibility), and it may be used as a “safe mode” in linux (if not as a main mode for using it, as i used 4Front’s OSS on linux because it’s better)

I would like to know how much hard will it be such a thing to implement… Thanks for the interest :)

Hey good job, I wanted to test out on freeBSD as well, can you tell me what you needed to change in the script to install?

Jack is available isn’t it? it is called jackit

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=jack&stype=all&sektion=all

how is the kernel running? the bsd kernel is totally different then the linux kernel and I recall using freebsd for music before and it was rock solid, all I had to do was recompile the kernel with support for my sound card. Was a long time ago and a lot of great new things have happened to nix audio.

Maybe it is time to give it a go again.

edit*

The alsa-lib is available as well

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=alsa&stype=all&sektion=all

I just kldload’ed snd_hda for my Realtek ALC883 (i’m still using dist kernel) and it’s just working well @ 192kHz. Via sysctl it’s possible to customize the sound card settings by grouping ins/outs and by deciding whether a pin is an input or a output, that can make your cheap integrated soundcard (with spdif heh) very much useful, by (example) converting your 7.1 out to a stereo out plus several line-ins (or microphones).
Jack works and i can route spdif optical input to come out thru speakers… But not thru jack-rack or jamin, as they’re still not working for me.

Renoise doesn’t recognize neither ALSA libs (i installed linux-f10-alsa-lib-1.0.21_1) nor Jack (jackit-0.116.2_4)

You have to modify the ‘install’ command lines’ options inside the script, by lowercasing -D it should work… When i go home i can tell you better :)

Cheers

yes please do, I am downloading freeBSD 8.0 right now, going to install it tonight and give this ago. Will write up my experiences.

The current version of OSS, v4, seems to be pretty cool actually, but nobody’s using it because it’s not in the Linux Kernel any more. See this article: http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html
I also read that recent OSS has an ALSA emulation mode – maybe you can use that to get Renoise to work on BSD. I haven’t tried it.

Thank you for the info and suggestion, still in the process of creating a write up, I am installing FreeBSD onto a second hard-drive and so far problems setting up the boot manager. Thinking I may just wipe the windows install on the first hard-drive and clear the problem up.

I had these kind of problems as well when installing Linux on a USB drive.
The cause of misbooting there was that the bootloader configurator interpreted the drive order differently during the install than the bootloader itself made up its drive-table. Really clumsy, i had to re-edit the grub bootconfiguration to manually adjust the drive number to fix that.
I don’t know how FreeBSD does that though, but i would look on that area if that regards booting from another drive than your “master” (specially if your master is a SATA drive, speaking off:booting from SATA drives also seems a less default option for Windows XP:you have to disconnect any other drive in order to be able to install XP on a SATA drive).

Got freeBSD up and running, sound works too with OSS :) just having a problem now with the renoise install, need that info…

This is my error message

darkbsd# sh ./install.sh
Fixing file permissions…
Installing shared resources…
Installing the executable…
Linking the executable…
Installing the man file…
install: illegal option – D
usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
[-o owner] file1 file2
install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
[-o owner] file1 … fileN directory
install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory …
** Installation of Renoise 2.5.1 FAILED **

It has to be what you mentioned about lower casing the -D, just don’t know where to look.

Man feebsd is ROCK solid and easy to use. Unlike all the distro’s of Linux, learn freebsd and you learn freebsd, not just a flavor of one way to do things. Nothing on Linux can touch the ports system, though portage is close.

Have qjackctl up and running but it feels sort of out of place on a bsd box, sort of like how jack feels on osx.

Cool thank you for the ideas, I decided to just wipe out the windows drive and installed freebsd on the first hard drive. Might make it a dual boot in the future but for now I am really happy with just freebsd on the machine.

a few comments:

• OSSv4: great piece of software, but is it really worth the effort when you can use jack as an intermediary ?
  • BSD: how good is the kernel with realtime apps ? I see in the jackaudio FAQ that you can only run realtime apps as superuser.
  • BSD: looks like it’s possible to use linux binaries on BSD