Renoise on Raspberry Pi 4?

Count me in for an ARM64 build. It would be great to run Renoise natively on my Chromebook . I’d also pay for the extra license too.
Edit// when I say natively, I would still be happy with the Linux ARM64 build as I can use the Linux layer on the Chromebook, I’ve had good succes with Reaper, Waveform and LMMS ( Tho LMMS is quite an outdated build ).

Slightly off topic, but it would be great if Chrome OS wouldn’t have to be hacked so much to get things like audio and video to work on the Linux layer . And you have to jump through hoops just to try out a Linux distro from a live usb, possibly bricking the device.

2 Likes

I’m currently working on the Apple M1 port. Once this is done, it indeed would make sense to look into the ARM64 Linux port as well, as they are basically the same. Can’t promise anything here but definitely will give this a try.

23 Likes

@taktik Thanks for your reply, good luck with the M1 port and hopefully the Linux ARM build :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice, to both of these, Renoise on Pi400 would be Amiga v2 for me personally.

3 Likes

Not to give anybody any ideas but I would seriously buy another full license to get Renoise on a Pi.

You maybe are in good fortune. The developer might be completely wasting his time doing just that for you Any news from the dev-team? - #7 by taktik

Thanks for the pointer! If you really feel it’s a waste, I feel you underestimate to what extent this could blow the roof off renoise use cases. Renoise Eurorack, Renoise on Zynthian, Renoise handheld etc. Heck, I’d get a pi400 dedicated to Renoise for every one of my kids just for the fun of it.

4 Likes

A Renoise based Dirtywave M8 is like a wet dream.

1 Like

Also interested

Renoise on Raspberry Pi should than get a “touch screen ready” interface

Nice!!

exactly! imagine something like Nerdseq but with Renoise :partying_face: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Could be even better but not an obligation, Pi have keyboard and mouse ^^

I’m all for an ARM-based version of Renoise, but I wonder what the use case is for using Renoise on a Pi? Wouldn’t it just be a cheaper, less-powerful desktop experience, or are you thinking of using it in some more of a mobile application, like SunVox or LSDJ on steroids? I have always wanted to have Renoise on a small netbook or tablet to use in live performance situations, but if I’m honest, a full-powered laptop is plenty portable and can do everything I want. How would you use a Raspberry Pi version differently?

1 Like

It was simply that a 400 was just a throwback to the Amiga days for us old farts, but the fact it has no audio output kinda kills that anyway.

bought a 400 specifically for this new ARM version. You can have audio out with a simple dac, increases the fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got a raspberry pi 400 to check Renoise on and have a long rabbit hole to go down in this weekend. Basically first time doing anything linux, so am struggling a bit finding a workflow. But love that almost everything you need is inside the small keyboard, will get the audio through hdmi and/or see if an usb soundcard works with it. Now first to get Renoise installed :slight_smile: . It says it needs to be installed from root, but trying to paste the extracted tar inside, access is denied?

@Bungle - Throw a class-compliant USB soundcard on the back, you may well have one kicking about. Then you’ll have a setup more than comparable to an A500 with a parallel port sampler. You couldn’t really plug your headphones directly into the Amiga anyway, you had to throw something else on the back :wink:

If you don’t have one, maybe snag a cheap Scarlett 2i2 or something from ebay?

@trueschool - for me, the use case is a dedicated tracker box, one that doesn’t have all sorts of other stuff popping up and distracting me- like on the Amiga, when you threw out the OS in Noisetracker. I tried a Polyend Tracker for exactly this but it was full of hardware and software bugs. I have got further in one weekend in Renoise than I did in a month on the Tracker (before I sold it).

1 Like

Add this to your wishlist : Renoise on a Steam Deck!

3 Likes

I’ve recently moved to Linux. Extract the tar.gz folder then navigate to the folder and hit shift+F4 (shift-F4 opens a terminal already navigated to the folder you’re viewing) to launch terminal. Then type “sudo sh install.sh” into terminal and it will install renoise. Hope that helps.

Edit: or, from any new terminal window type “sudo sh” then drag and drop the “install.sh” folder into the terminal and it will autocomplete the command.

Disclaimer: this is all based on my use of Ubuntu Studio.

1 Like