Renoise Pattern trigger via MIDI drum machine style

Hi guys! Pardon if I’m posting this in the wrong section, I tried searching, but to no avail.

After a 13 year break from FT2 I’m adding Renoise and Redux to my sonic arsenal, because I remembered how

much I love the finer details and possibilities of tracking.

Straight question, is it possible to trigger Renoise patterns with external MIDI drum machine style?
This would let me live perform Renoise through eg. Ableton, and would also make it way easier to resample Renoise for further manipulation via ReWire.

Not just drums, but anything Renoise does good (like big, gated legato pads with panning pr. note).

Especially iZotope BreakTweaker does this very well, a pattern is saved to a key, press the key, and it loops. Let go of the key and it stops.

They also have different modes like latch, legato or toggle to switch/segue between patterns which makes it awesome for live performance

and improv.

Is this possible at all in Renoise?

It would be extremely helpful in choosing when/what to play from the tracker into my main project.

Hope you have some enlightened minds here :smiley:

• Magnus Wolff // Miu

Welcome back, I suppose :smiley:

iZotope BreakTweaker does this very well, a pattern is saved to a key, press the key, and it loops. Let go of the key and it stops.

They also have different modes like latch, legato or toggle to switch/segue between patterns which makes it awesome for live performance

and improv.

What you are describing here really sounds like what is offered since Renoise 3, namely phrases.

This whole paradigm has been further refined in Redux, where the phrases themselves have become more powerful with extra effect columns, but also performance-wise, with poly/mono switching, legato/glide and sustain-pedal support (latch).

Other tools - Live Dive, Grid Pie etc. - are offering a more “Ableton Live” style workflow, but that’s a different thing…