Renoise Production Blog?

Great idea with the blog. I think I’m with Zed on using an existing service, for two reasons: 1) No maintenance. This is important. Let someone else bother with upgrades, templates and plugins. The content is what’s important. 2) They have community features to allow easy tracking of who reads the blog, and spontaneous social networking ensues. Oh, joy!

I’ve been toying around with the new vox.com service, and it looks very good so far. It’s the new service from sixapart(movable type, livejournal), and ASFAIK I believe they’re planning on pretty much replacing LJ with it. It’s simple, works, and let’s you cut to the chase right away. It’s also less “school girl” ish than LJ, but not as boring (or crappy) as blogger.

For renoise blogging, it would also let us build a renoise “neighborhood”, kinda like on myspace but not as frivolous/lame/pointless. It’s easy to share posts, manage comments etc on there. It’s also cool since they allow unlimited audio/video/image uploads, so it’s good for posting audio clips for review and comments.

This would let everybody have their own blog and profile separate, and then congregate them all under the Renoise Neighborhood, no fuss and easily overviewed.

However, if you’re bent on running your own app, wordpress is really unbeatable. Textpattern is also really great, particularly for more complex ownership and editor/moderator setups.

I’d be happy to help with templates etc if this is the route chosen, but again, I suggest starting with vox since it requres zero effort.

Just my couple of cents,
-d

I’m not familiar with Vox, but Wordpress allows to convert a lot of blog services to the own database, I think it’s no problem.

That’s right, I guess first post should be a review about Renoise 1.8 RC1. Since it’s gonna be public version it’s quite logic and fair to introduce people what’s the all about.

P.S. I think “magazine” isn’t very right word for the blog describing, I think we should call it with actual name “blog”. Something like “Renoise community blog” or “Renoise tracking blog”, something simple… Just a note…

P.P.S. and we should invite Taktik to the blog first, I think he’s gonna be my fav poster… after IT-Alien :)

Gahh weird elephants!! :P

‘Tracking’ or ‘Community’ are not words we should have advertising this. I strongly think we should stick to my original title of Renoise Production Blog. IRC or this forum is for hanging out and making friends, In:Depth is about pushing the boundaries of our production skills using Renoise as the tool.

I like them, quite fresh and funny :)

Well, the original name is also nice. Basically I wanted to step out from “magazine” which I guess means something more real, paper version.
One of the main thought I would like to say is that it’s important to keep the blog easy, avoid very complicated stuff (i.e. do not post it everyday), post some update news, plans, maybe even some funny (tracking related) things. I.e. we should go natural with posting. Complicated/interesting/technical can be grouped for own tags, i.e. no need to put everything we know about tracking in few posts.

Well, I don’t think it’s gonna be forum. Big companies like Google who owns a lot of specific blogs doesn’t allow even comments to their posts. I want to say our blog should be readable as much as possible.

Well, let’s be sober, I didn’t mean anything like this. I hope we both understand whats the limits.

On on. My username is mr_mark_dollin - I’m assuming you have to add me.

…Working on that article.

Hmm… I’m added to your Neighborhood, but I can’t see I can add posts… When I click on compose it seems to want to post to my vox blog…?

Hey I feel the confusion too, and I’ve been blogging for a while. There are so many bells and whistles with Vox that seem to be oriented toward myspace-style network building. Maybe we should build our own Wordpress or b2evo machine and be done with it cause we can completely program it to our needs? We’re not in a hurry are we?

Actually I’m liking the look of Textpattern. That multiple contributors feature could be what we want.

We could try blogspot or livejournal, I’m familiar with blogspot, it’s a very nice and simple service which maintained by Google btw… There is one minus - some dude has already registered “Reniose.blogspot.com”, it’s another dead account I suppose.

Ok, a little update on this topic. Bantai he been putting some good work into our new In:Depth section that will go live in once it’s all ready.

I’m crafting up some articles, but obviously have no intention to write it all (after all I have just as many weaknesses as anyone else). So we need help from interested people! If you think you can write a short article (with screen captions) on any of these areas for Renoise:

• Engineering
  • Critical listening
  • Mixing
  • Mastering
  • Arrangement
  • Recording MIDI
  • Recording Audio
  • Instruments
  • Effects
  • Pattern wizardry
  • Innovation
  • Restoration
  • Music theory
  • Live
  • Collaboration
  • etc…

Anything specific would be good. For example: “How to cut up a break”… or “Short Stereo Delays” etc… We’re aiming to show how we can use Renoise in crafty ways beyond just the manual basics.

Interesting thread. Another vote for WordPress from me. I recently converted both of my sites to WordPress, and while it does have its limitations I’ve found it to be very easy to work with. Although it’s known as a “blog” engine, it can easily be adapted to other uses. My main site - www.documentwrite.com - is where I publish technical writing relating to audio.

I don’t have enough spare time or knowledge of Renoise to be able to write anything at this stage, but I would be happy to do proof-reading/editing if it would help.

I look forward to seeing the new “In:Depth” section. :)

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Thanks Malcolm, we’ll keep that in mind.

Yeah it seems we’re using our own install of WordPress.

haven’t been keeping track. Is this up yet?

Soon. It’s been worked on. We’ll let everyone know once it’s ready.

Oh yes! Thanks to some crafty dude we’ve already got some great articles done, and a few still rising in the oven too.

Any other volunteer Renoise-ninjas out there want in, just PM me.

ive been roughly studying file formats in my free time. wikipedia has been a treat for this. i began writing / editing a bit about them using only sited quotes . i wish it to cover all specific formats for Renoise. it started with endianism an proceeded from there. i need to start over with it, because i lost it.
i am still at much of a loss when it comes to file formats so, in order to learn more i’m going to begin this again.
i’m mostly self taught so i will mos def need an editor.

so far, i hope to cover using raw format, also using deemphasis to get pristine samples from cd’s.

Cool. If you get a draft done send it thru :)