Renoise.Tool().App_Idle_Observable And Modal Dialogs

topic title pretty much says it all:

I am trying to add a notifier to

renoise.tool().app_idle_observable  

when a call to

renoise.app():show_custom_prompt  

is made, similarly to how it is made on Nibbles script, which instead uses a non-modal prompt (show_custom_dialog).

it doesn’t seem to work in the modal case: the code inside the notifier does not get executed, but the notifier is correctly removed and has_notifier correctly returns true.

by quickly trying using a non-modal dialog, it does seem to work; I didn’t test it thoroughly because it starts giving me lots of unrelated errors, but it the same mechanism is proved to work with Nibbles, as said above

yes, I also think the problem is that, as the first thing the notifier function does is to check if the dialog is closed; in such case, the notifier gets removed and its code is terminated, so the execution flow is like this:

• add notifier
  • the notifier does nothing until the dialog is opened
  • open dialog, but the notifier code is never executed because the dialog is modal
  • close dialog
  • the notifier code is executed, but it is immediately removed because now the dialog is closed

I have checked the functionality with a non-modal dialog and it works like expected

Yes, modal dialogs do block all other events for all other dialogs and the main window. renoise.tool().app_idle_observable is part of the main window.

Why do you need idle loops at all in this case? If you want to do some “polling” in your modal dialog, we should think about adding "window_idle_observable"s to the modal windows instead.

see here: people asked for a runtime preview of slices into the sample slicer, which is a modal tool

Not really related to this problem in general, but the slicer anyway does not need to be modal. All you need to check is if the current sample buffer is valid, a sample is present, which should be quite easy to handle?

yes, indeed it’s what I will do. Actually, I think it is already almost full-working as it is now, but have to check it

non modal dialogs have ALL the fun :D