Renoise & VCV Rack ideas

These sound awesome. Is this Cardinal or just Pro?

I use a lot of Voltage Modular but for some reason haven’t really paired it with Renoise yet (aside from resampling and importing). Seems like an inspiring workflow though, so you’ve inspired me for sure!

Also, your mixes sound great. If that’s just laptop speakers, that’s a testament to my theory that most people are just over-mixing most of the time. Awesome work!

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for listening. Its the Pro version. Haven’t worked a lot with VM but I guess its real cool too. Do you have any examples?

Again, thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

the tracker within the tracker…

here are the VCV tracker modules:

Can’t stop

Finding space, 3 channels of Renoise, everything in 12 bit.

LOVE

2 Likes

How did you make it 12 bit?
Edit: LoFi Mat?

1 Like

Yes, LoFi Mat :slight_smile:

VCV for bass and graphic the rest is noise… Renoise

1 Like

Please, forgive my ignorance. I see the patterns in some of these videos are quite short - is there a lot of modulation going on in VCV Rack to keep it flowing? Im extremely unfamiliar with modular, interested but scared of the rabbit hole lol.

1 Like

Hi! Great question, I don’t do “overwhelming” lots of modulation really. Sometimes on the melody I introduce some randomness to get it floating. These are pretty quick 30 min sketches. I should try to expand and modulate more!

Hey VCV is free, so pretty cheap rabbit hole, unless you fall to deep and go hardware that is… :wink:

I thought VCV Rack was a paid thing to use as a VST? I just worried about spending tons of cash on the paid modules too. It does sound beautiful and im fairly sure im going to have a look soon.

1 Like

you’re right, the VST is paid. however you can route via bridge I think… ? :slight_smile:

There’s also Cardinal (and if you’re insane and don’t mind the crashing, PlugData)!

I actually do feel inspired by your pieces so maybe I’ll have to do some Renoise / modular experiments later today myself :smiley:

2 Likes

super cool!!!

1 Like

Very nice! :grin:

1 Like

If you don’t like Cardinal, you can also do a simple connection using any virtual MIDI driver.

I made a tutorial some time ago, before the release of VCV 2.0 (back then, there was no VST version).

The main downside is that you’ll need a third way to record the audio from both VCV and Renoise. You can use VMBanana, BlueCat Connect, Rolling Sampler, stereo mix through Reaper, etc… Many ways to approach it. If you have an audio interface with different outputs/inputs, you can also route VCV through one output and feed it back into input 3/4 and grab it in a Renoise channel using the #Line Input device.

In this test patch I’m using both Renoise and VCV as sound sources. The first one for the sampler (drum hits), which will trigger VCV modules (the melodic parts). The melody is a simple Sample & Hold from Turing Machine and some modulation from Permutation to cycle between different oscillators everytime the drum hits:

BTW here’s an older post with more info regarding how to record the audio if you don’t have an audio interface:

3 Likes

You could theoretically use something like Virtual Audio Cable to at least record from one to the other. Or if you’re already using a MIDI loopback, just being able to record and play back the MIDI recording itself is sometimes good enough (depending on the project and uses, of course)

1 Like

Yes, in the post I linked I also point that :blush:

1 Like

Very cool mate, like it a lot.

2 Likes

Here is VCV + Tela within Bitwig