Renoise vs workstation?

Maybe a little off topic, but it may prove useful just the same.

Interesting thread on KVR concerning Windows vsts under LINUX. This thread specifically mentions being tested under Renoise. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414077 and there’s also Airwave: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13686

and http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=415929

Of the 2 I think Airwave is still being developed and has a fairly recent .deb for Ubuntu: https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave/releases

I’m in the process of moving to OSX. But … I think I’ll build a Ubuntu box from some spare hardware and give these a shot. I don’t use many vsts,preferring samples instead under Renoise. (Old Skool tracker enthusiast) However, I do own U-He’s Zebra2 and while it also comes in a LINUX and OSX version (most of U-he’s vst plugins do), it would be interesting to see how well it works with either of the above listed methods.

Maybe a little off topic, but it may prove useful just the same.

Interesting thread on KVR concerning Windows vsts under LINUX. This thread specifically mentions being tested under Renoise. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414077 and there’s also Airwave: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13686

and http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=415929

Of the 2 I think Airwave is still being developed and has a fairly recent .deb for Ubuntu: https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave/releases

I’m in the process of moving to OSX. But … I think I’ll build a Ubuntu box from some spare hardware and give these a shot. I don’t use many vsts,preferring samples instead under Renoise. (Old Skool tracker enthusiast) However, I do own U-He’s Zebra2 and while it also comes in a LINUX and OSX version (most of U-he’s vst plugins do), it would be interesting to see how well it works with either of the above listed methods.

Thank you, but Wine (the Windows emulator) is buggy, and I like stable things.

When you try Ubuntu, please download Ubuntu Studio, not the normal Ubuntu: https://ubuntustudio.org/

And here there are more than enough plugins to make any kind of electronic music, plus many samplers that you don’t need with Renoise:

http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html

Also, have a look at this site:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start

my first LINUX operating system was ubuntu it was fun for a while and did let me think it was secure and safe

But later on i saw Ubuntu was not secure and safe as i thought. there was by default spyware (amazon search) installed and still is right now

Maybe you don’t know this. and maybe you don’t know that Bill gates raised alot of money for good causes
and look at mark zuckerberg giving 45 billions recently

1 Like

IMO saying that Linux is bestest and still emulating windows apps on it is just dumb. (y u no use real OS for you apps?)

and dont be so naive, there is NO people in the world who can not afford windows, there is only people who bought windows or got it with laptop, and people who torrent windows lol

IMO saying that Linux is bestest and still emulating windows apps on it is just dumb. (y u no use real OS for you apps?)

and dont be so naive, there is NO people in the world who can not afford windows, there is only people who bought windows or got it with laptop, and people who torrent windows lol

You meant there are no computer owners that cannot afford windows

Well that depends as i said (different by everyone) ,for example new computer cost about 200$ and some people cannot afford paying for windows which is 1/2 of that, and not everyone torrents

my first LINUX operating system was ubuntu it was fun for a while and did let me think it was secure and safe

But later on i saw Ubuntu was not secure and safe as i thought. there was by default spyware (amazon search) installed and still is right now

Maybe you don’t know this. and maybe you don’t know that Bill gates raised alot of money for good causes

Unfortunately, Ubuntu is not a good representation of Gnu/Linux anymore. The Amazon thing is one reason for this.

What Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg do as a person, does not necessarily have anything to do with the products of their companies.

I don’t use Ubuntu, but that spyware is nothing in comparison with what Apple, Google and Windows do. They track every site you visit, and, if using a phone, they track every place you go, and every contact you make.

Ubuntu was very, very very critized for including Amazon staff, althought you can disable it. Ubuntu is just a distribution, there are hundreds of them. Ubuntu is an attempt to control free operating systems by them, conducted by a guy which was the director of one of the companies that the big guys bought, and they gave him millions for his work.

Bill Gates gave those millions to the Medical Corporations that do have the medicines patented to impose a vaccination system in Africa for which not everybody agrees, that is causing severe dependency on big companies and a system of perpetual slavery on african people. They don’t go against their corrupted goverments (in fact they help them), and they use them to extract the precius materials needed to create microchips and small phones at ridiculous prices, using even child slaves for that. He also do agree on controlling and microchiping population and is in the same league as bankers. Don’t let they fool you, they have a lot of money, which was gained by selling crappy software with very serius security concerns that were put there on purpose (not by error) in order to allow big corporations and goverments to control the population and the access to technology.

You may agree with them, or allow to fool you, because you live within the 10% of the population that has the luck to be in a country of consumers. The rest of the world literally work as slaves for you.

I never said Linux is the best overall, I said it is better in security and politics. If you don’t care about politics, fine, but please respect me and don’t call me dumb.

I’m sorry a.part
I never meant to hurt you!
I never meant to make you cry; but tonight
I’m cleaning out my closet.

Security and politics, is a funny thing… why we need that security?

well google and windows can track anyone who is online, but does it matter? do you have something to hide? even if you do, they dont have enough employees to even care about what you are hiding.

people are afraid of “someone tracking them” in the meantime putting all their lives in front of everyone themselves on facebook or instagram.

sure if you are president obama or something you might want to use linux because you dont want to someone to know what sites you are using to order junkfood after 8pm.

but we are not a president, and only tracking after your steps is that we put out yourselves, no one ever care to spy on any of us.

i have used ubuntu and redhat a bit, redhat if for one purpose only, ubuntu maybe for fancy look and browsing, for a work i dunno man…

does it have something that makes the job easier, faster, more stable?

or it is just using Linux main benefit is that setting up your studio you can browse facebook safely? : D

does it matter? do you have something to hide?

Even if I feel the same as you, that doesn’t mean it’s not important to discuss where and how surveillance should be allowed/expected.

(maybe not in a Renoise forum thread about workstation keyboards, but anyway… :slight_smile: )

The pirate party of Berlin distilled the complex message into this poster:

“I can’t do it when everyone’s looking”

do you have something to hide?

1017283_650800344977398_1596992842_n_139

I’m sorry a.part
I never meant to hurt you!
I never meant to make you cry; but tonight
I’m cleaning out my closet.

Security and politics, is a funny thing… why we need that security?

well google and windows can track anyone who is online, but does it matter? do you have something to hide? even if you do, they dont have enough employees to even care about what you are hiding.

people are afraid of “someone tracking them” in the meantime putting all their lives in front of everyone themselves on facebook or instagram.

sure if you are president obama or something you might want to use linux because you dont want to someone to know what sites you are using to order junkfood after 8pm.

but we are not a president, and only tracking after your steps is that we put out yourselves, no one ever care to spy on any of us.

i have used ubuntu and redhat a bit, redhat if for one purpose only, ubuntu maybe for fancy look and browsing, for a work i dunno man…

does it have something that makes the job easier, faster, more stable?

or it is just using Linux main benefit is that setting up your studio you can browse facebook safely? : D

1.- I have a lot to hide to hackers. Most people that uses their computers in their jobs do, too. Thousands of persons are loosing their money, their time and their important data everyday as a consecuence of hackers infecting and using their computers.

2.- I don’t necesary have anything to hide to goverments, but goverments can turn into fascists very easily, and then, if they have my data, I have a lot to worry about. Yes, you may think we are going to live in peace for ever, but don’t be a fool. At any moment there could be a war and in that moment both corporations and goverments do have everything about you.

3.- I don’t want to depend on a single corporation for my digital life. They can turn into anything nasty and neither me or any other programmer can fix the problem.

For those things, not even them are using Windows. I don’t know of any bank that uses Windows for their servers (they may use them as clients for other reasons, and yet they face many problems everyday). I don’t know of any big company that uses Windows as their servers. And many big companies do also use Linux as clients (like Google), at least in the important jobs.

We are going very vey off topic.

Even if I feel the same as you, that doesn’t mean it’s not important to discuss where and how surveillance should be allowed/expected.

(maybe not in a Renoise forum thread about workstation keyboards, but anyway… :slight_smile: )

The pirate party of Berlin distilled the complex message into this poster:

“I can’t do it when everyone’s looking”

So in your brillant mind people do use Linux because it is easier to do illegal copies using it?

Ok, let me think about it: so I do use Linux so I can pirate Windows more easily? Hmm?

Just incredible.

TBH Linux is a fantastic operating system, especially if you’re any kind of programmer. Bash is the tits, and cygwin is a poor replacement. Also some of the linux window managers are way ahead of windows now (I adore cinnamon for example) for just general usage.

The package and update management alone in nearly every distro is something both microsoft and apple could seriously learn from and it’s taken a third party inventing “chocolatey” to get even close.

If it weren’t for vsts and my steam library I’d have done the permanent switch yonks back, it’s just better,

Seriously, the “oh you should just use windows” is like saying, “everybody else is putting a knife through their cockend, you should just do it too.”

The day they improve WINE to an adequate level you won’t see me for dust.

There are 3 things one should never discuss in polite company, religion, politics and Operating Systems … :slight_smile:

Peace my brothers.

All you really need is Renoise and a microphone, no matter what kind of OS you got or whether you’re being watched by hackers or the gouvernment.

When i hear what kind of silly scams people actually fall for i worry less for my own safety. I’m not particularly fond of surveillance myself, but i’m not very fond of terrorists either, so i’m not shure what is necessary to do to get less of both.

The hackers i try to avoid by not downloading pirated software, spybot, Windows firewall and security essentials, then i cross my fingers and hope for the best. No way they’re gonna steel my Renoise license!

TBH Linux is a fantastic operating system, especially if you’re any kind of programmer. Bash is the tits, and cygwin is a poor replacement. Also some of the linux window managers are way ahead of windows now (I adore cinnamon for example) for just general usage.

The package and update management alone in nearly every distro is something both microsoft and apple could seriously learn from and it’s taken a third party inventing “chocolatey” to get even close.

If it weren’t for vsts and my steam library I’d have done the permanent switch yonks back, it’s just better,

Seriously, the “oh you should just use windows” is like saying, “everybody else is putting a knife through their cockend, you should just do it too.”

The day they improve WINE to an adequate level you won’t see me for dust.

Probably you don’t need Wine anymore, I have just installed this repository for Debian, and it is incredible. Have a look at Carla and other programs they offer:

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla

Probably you don’t need Wine anymore, I have just installed this repository for Debian, and it is incredible. Have a look at Carla and other programs they offer:

Hmm, very cool. I was headed towards an OSX box, but I may give this a serious look first. I’ve used LINUX from way back (Slackware only distro around and the kernel was 1.0.0.). Thanks for the links. :slight_smile:

Hmm, very cool. I was headed towards an OSX box, but I may give this a serious look first. I’ve used LINUX from way back (Slackware only distro around and the kernel was 1.0.0.). Thanks for the links. :slight_smile:

I’m using it for two days now and I haven’t explored a 5% of the total amount of posibilities… It includes nearly 1000 plugins and instruments, and with Claudia, which is the session manager, all you do is adding applications and then saving and restoring once you reopen the “studio” set. For example, I have composed a song, saved the documents/patches in each application, closed all the applications pushing the stop button in Claudia, and when I reopen Claudia BOOM! everything is like it was before, with all the conections made. Claudia makes this possible by assigning temporal files to each program and saving JACK connections, so it reopens the programs when you reopen the studio.

This way I can use Renoise with Hydrogen, LMMS, seq24, and even with Ardour, QTractor, and any other program I can think of. And Renoise do support all Linux plugins, both instruments and effects.

Ah! Install carla-git instead of the normal version, they made a lot of improvements, including direct support for Windows VST, althought I haven’t tested it and I don’t want to.

Fuck a duck! Doesn’t solve my steam library issue but I may well chuck Debian based Mint back on the laptop.

Fuck a duck! Doesn’t solve my steam library issue but I may well chuck Debian based Mint back on the laptop.

Yeah!! But not only that, Carla can be inserted into any VST/DSSI host, making possible, for example, to use the ZynAddSubFX GUI available under Renoise, and you can even edit the patch inside Zyn and it is saved! That means that you can rack any amount of plugins and make JACK connections inside Renoise without limits. Just astonishing…

Here I have an screenshot: