Renoise x64 defaulting to 32-bit VST3

Hi,

I’ve had my eye on Renoise for some time now, but with the release of 3.3, finally pulled the trigger and bought it! I’m currently running 64-bit 3.3.1 on Windows 10.

Just now I installed the Spitfire LABS plugin, which comes in four flavours: 32 & 64-bit VST2, and 32 & 64-bit VST3. Unfortunately their installer doesn’t have options to control this; you get all four. My install paths for VST3 plugins are the defaults - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 for 32-bit, and C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 for 64.

Opening up Renoise after installing LABS, I saw it detected a new VST3 instrument, which is great - however, on loading it in, I noticed it was the 32-bit version. There is only one entry for it in my plugins list - it doesn’t show the VST2 versions, or the 64-bit VST3. In the end, I forced it to load the 64-bit VST3 by going into my 32-bit plugin folder and renaming the file (.vst3 -> .vst3.bak). After re-scanning for plugins in Renoise, and loading in LABS again, I get the 64-bit version.

Are there options somewhere that I missed that control the hiding/showing of multiple versions of the same plugin? Or an option to make Renoise default to 64-bit plugins when available? Defaulting to 32-bit VST3 in the 64-bit version of Renoise seems counter-intuitive, at best.

It depends if the plugins folder 32/64bit detection is hardcoded into the exe or dll files, in that case there is not much we can do except waiting for another update.

That said, i did find a config.xml file with some vst path settings. I suggest to make a backup of this file first before changing things.
Located in - C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.3.1

Look for these lines and try to see if 1 of these 2 will disable the 32bit vst3? unless it’s only made for vst2 but i’m not sure.

<VstDirPathIsEnabled32Bit>false</VstDirPathIsEnabled32Bit>
<SecondaryVstDirPathIsEnabled32Bit>false</SecondaryVstDirPathIsEnabled32Bit>

I never did get to the bottom of this - but having renamed the 32-bit VST3 once, it now seems to have stuck to preferring the 64-bit version, even after reinstating the 32-bit file. For now, it’s working, and I’m not questioning it :smiley: but still, options to control behaviour if I get such a collision again in future would be much appreciated.