Renoise x86 & x64 plugin path(s)

Hi,

new PC (Win7) - new installation of Renoise (3.0.1). I like to keep things separated so I split my vst’s into 32 bit and 64 bit. I installed Renoise x86 and x64 on this new machine and set the vst-paths accordingly - Renoise x86 -> 32 bit vst / Renoise x64 -> 64 bit vst.

I did that because i read at the forums that you are able to install x64 and x86 version of renoise side by side.

Problem is : obviously I can not set different paths for my vst-plugins. It seems that renoise x64 shares its config with its x86 counterpart.

1. When changing the path in Renoise x86 to “/path/to/32-bit/vsts/” it scans this directory and everything is fine.

2. When opening Renoise x64, the path to the plugins is saved as “/path/to/32-bit/vsts/” even if it was a clean install and started the first time.

3. When chaning the path to “/path/to/64-bit/vsts”, closing the x64 version and starting the x86 version again the plugin path of the x86 version says “/path/to/64-bit/vsts”.

4. Changing this entry back to “/path/to/32-bit/vsts” it immediatly starts scanning for plugins.

Now we can start at 1) again and the procedure repeats.

I tested that on another machine with Renoise 3.0.1 and Renoise 3.0.0 and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Bug or feature?

Best regards

Michael

Seems I am the only person with this problem or it’s a really dumb question ?! :smashed:

/path/to/32-bit/vsts/
/path/to/64-bit/vsts/

You’re probably better off restructuring your VST folder like this instead:

/path/to/vsts/32-bit/
/path/to/vsts/64-bit/

Then simply point Renoise at the singular base path:

/path/to/vsts/

Under normal circumstances, Renoise should be smart enough to use the correct plugin build to match the particular build of Renoise you’re running, whether it’s 32-bit or 64-bit.

If you’ve used the typical crappy default paths offered by most plugin installers, then you may have your files scattered around locations such as:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2\
And so on…

If that’s the case, then your first step should be to move/reinstall everything to a more sensible location like so:

C:\VST\

This is what I’ve personally been doing for many years. It’s much easier to manage overall, and it also avoids some permissions/security problems that occasionally happen (typically with older plugins) from using the protected Program Files folder.