Repeater Device

Repeater device is great fun.

I’m just adding it into Cells! for moar awesomeness and I’ve come across some strange behaviour. Note that is may not be a bug but that I’m trying to do something that it was not designed to do.

I’ve added it to a send channel on ‘prepare’. I set mode to even, divisor to 1/8 and disable the device on startup.

I have controls that change the divisor, and a button which enables/disables the device.

What I’ve noticed is that after the first ‘use’ it keeps repeating the ‘old’ sound whenever it’s used. Maybe this because I’m never stopping the transport?

The only way I can get it to reset without stopping is to disable ‘hold’ (what does this do?), which changes mode to ‘off’, change the divisor, reset mode to ‘even’ and reset the divisor.

I’m i’m missing something obvious please point it out!

Otherwise, great!

The Repeater is a bit weird and behaves quite differently compared to the other standard DSP effects.

The key thing here is the Mode parameter.

The Repeater will continue to repeat/retrigger whatever audio was captured when you first turned the effect on by changing the Mode parameter from “Off” to one of the active modes “Free/Even/Triplet/Dotted”.

It will not fully reset the audio buffers until you revert the Mode parameter back to the “Off” state, and then switch it back to one of the active modes, where it will begin to re-capture a new chunk of audio.

The Hold parameter primarily controls how the GUI (the grid cells) behave. When Hold is enabled, you can click on a cell and it will remain active until you click it again to deactivate it. This is handy if you want to trigger a certain timing and then queue up a different timing. When Hold is disabled, you click a grid cell and then the effect will automatically turn itself off when you release the mouse button.

It seems the hold button has no entry in the parameter hook list…

To control the hold button, i guess you have to use Taktiks secret parameter trick

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>  
<filterdeviceclipboard doc_version="0"><br>
  <deviceslot type="RepeaterDevice"><br>
	<isactive>true</isactive><br>
	<isselected>true</isselected><br>
	<selectedpresetname>Init</selectedpresetname><br>
	<selectedpresetismodified>true</selectedpresetismodified><br>
	<ismaximized>true</ismaximized><br>
	<mode><br>
  	<value>2</value><br>
  	<visualization>Device only</visualization><br>
	</mode><br>
	<divisor><br>
  	<value>0.75</value><br>
  	<visualization>Device only</visualization><br>
	</divisor><br>
	<hold>true</hold><br>
  </deviceslot><br>
</filterdeviceclipboard>  

The Hold button was never really intended to be automated. It mainly only affects the mouse behaviour while you’re tweaking the thing in Renoise’s own GUI. The actual behaviour of the Repeater effect itself can be entirely controlled by manually changing the Mode and Divisor parameters.

Ok, now that I know that it works perfectly (leaving device enabled but toggling mode from ‘off’ to ‘even’). Maybe worth noting somewhere.

Thanks!

wow, that is fucking great stuff. actually, i was about to code this as a VST plugin, but it’s bound to work even better when it’s integrated.

2.8 sounds like a really, really, really great release. i love what you do! keep it coming!

I thought the same thing a couple years back, and actually made one. I’m linking, since it has some tricks of it’s own - multiple delay lines with ADSR, built-in sequencer etc. Not exactly bug-free though (it has some slight timing issues).

Click image to download (Windows 32-bit VST)

PS: not trying to steal the show

Looks very cool, now if you build it for Linux it might be useful! ;)

I’m playing with the Renoise repeater device and so far it’s really cool. Stream Tm-2011-12-17T17.28.25 by Anton Sachzwang | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

What the device really needs, I think, is the possibility to map the fraction buttons (1/1, 1/2, 1/4T… etc) to MIDI events separately. I’m trying to figure out how to do it with the Divisor, but if it works, it is a pain (maybe with some additional meta-device?).

The 1/2 1/4 1/8… buttons should be selectable and mappable in MIDI Learn Mode.

Also, somewhat related:
The LFO Reset action is not MIDI-mappable, is it?
Would be helpful :)

I thought the repeater would work like an arpegiator or note repeat button - what I mean is if you change samples or keys it repeats them live… not just recorded notes?