Replace sample - keep slice points?

Hi all,

Still learning about this wonderful program! Hopefully this is a simple one to answer…I just don’t see an option for it.

I’m wondering if there is a way to chop up a sample with slice points and then replace the original sample, but maintain the location of the slice points? The application here would be on a breakbeat that I have several versions of but would rather avoid the tedium of re-slicing every time I process it with eq or conversion etc.

I realize it would require fine tuning after replacing, but it would save loads of time on the front end.

thanks!

Not sure if there’s an official way for this.

But you can first silence the first break (silence sample, mark everything and hit the straight line button). Then “Mix Paste” in add mode the second break into the silence sample with the markers. This depends on both samples being the same rate (44100, 48000, …)

It’s you who made this wonderful piece of drumfunk artistry!?

Hi all,

Still learning about this wonderful program! Hopefully this is a simple one to answer…I just don’t see an option for it.

I’m wondering if there is a way to chop up a sample with slice points and then replace the original sample, but maintain the location of the slice points? The application here would be on a breakbeat that I have several versions of but would rather avoid the tedium of re-slicing every time I process it with eq or conversion etc.

I realize it would require fine tuning after replacing, but it would save loads of time on the front end.

thanks!

you can slice the sample using 0Sxx command in the pattern or phrase editor…

thats my idea… chop it with 0Sxx in the first place, and then you can replace even different samples with same same lenght

This tool might help: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-render-and-slice/43102

I don’t like using 0S for drums because it creates a fade in and you lose the transient

It’s you who made this wonderful piece of drumfunk artistry!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfH0F1aifY

aw man, that’s a really nice thing to say…respect!

Thanks for the pointers everyone!

+1 made a similar thread ages ago, but can’t find real quick.

Would be nice to be able to relatively save slice positions (distance between markers taken into account as percentage to the whole, instead of actual amount of time). This would be great imo especially when working with breakbeat samples that are already pre-cut to fit within X amount of bars, you wouldn’t have to worry about samples being of the exact same length so the marker positions will still make sense because of the structure. I used to have a beatslicer program named Zero-X quantizer that would let you apply the saved markers of one break onto another break so it could apply the groove, shift slices accordingly;

This old program still has pretty unique slicer functions I wish were introduced in Renoise (through scripting?). Stuff like randomly shifting, processing slices, the applying of grooves through slice-maps as mentioned above, be able to move/quantize slice markers with the sample moving accordingly etc.

If you have a sliced sample - you can in the sample view right click the sample graph -> slices -> render to phrase, below that command will be some options. This will kind of extract the groove of a break to phrase pattern data by putting down note commands with delay values as given by the slice markers. From there you can do anything with it. I already successfully applied the groove of one break to another (or to whatever pattern data…) via this feature. It takes some care to really work out, though. It is not idiot proof, so to say. But if you know what you’re doing - the power is already there.

And yeah, a dedicated tool to make this easier would come handy. Would be 100% possible already, just needs someone to code it down in proper ways and then maintain it.

What’s a great option in the quantizer software is that once a break is sliced, you can move a single dial and gradually alter all slice positions, possibly snap to (set) beat divisions, visually see the slices and corresponding sample fragments move in time. This way you can quickly quantize a loosely drummed acoustic break, also the other way around, apply a funky groove to a static quantized beat :drummer:.

I’ve done workarounds as described above in the past, but it doesn’t really compare to seeing the sample chunks move in a sample editor imo. Having slice parts (cross-)fade into each other once they overlap.

I guess a way to link up, lock slice markers to the underlying sample fragments is what would be needed first in Renoise?

(Sorry for slight thread hijack :smashed:)

I used to have a beatslicer program named Zero-X quantizer

Wow, never heard about that one. Just downloaded the demo to check it out.

Also: I thought that the asking price of 250$ seemed pretty over the top, but checking it out I can see just how specialized this tool it is.

But then I guess it’s abandonware by now…

Wow, never heard about that one. Just downloaded the demo to check it out.

Also: I thought that the asking price of 250$ seemed pretty over the top, but checking it out I can see just how specialized this tool it is.

But then I guess it’s abandonware by now…

yeah, if I remember correctly the programmer behind it licensed or started working on the slicer implementation in Fruityloops. Maybe the ‘royalties’ were enough to retire :wink: .