Req : Beats per Measure and Beat Value property

Hi,

Could you please add the “Beats per Measure” and “Beat Value” properties to Renoise ? It could be implemented into the Pattern-Settings, because these values should be variable for each pattern used in Renoise.

Here follows an explanation why a user could need this :

Some VST Instruments or VST Plugins use this Meter-Information to play rhythm parts in realtime.

For example Steinberg’s Virtual Guitarist: this VSTi plays guitar in different styles. In Cubase, if your song has 3 Beats per Measure, and the Beat Value is set to 4 (3/4) , the guitar plays a Walz-Style :

Listen to these samples I found in a vg-review on the web :

Sample with 3/4 :
http://www.cougar.lu/renoise/meter/sample_3-4.mp3

When set to (4/4) (the default Meter-Setting in Renoise by the way), it plays another style :

Sample :
http://www.cougar.lu/renoise/meter/sample_4-4.mp3

As you can hear, they sound different.

Of coarse, these meter-settings should be sent to the VSTi’s or VST-Plugins, as Renoise seems to do already with the BPM-Value :
Virtual Guitarist also supports that Beat Per Minute (BPM)-Value. So if I increment that BPM-value in Renoise, the guitar plays faster.

This works already in Renoise :guitar: .But the meter-setting is missing in Renoise :( .

Is there a possibility to add this in a future version of Renoise ? I think we need it anyway because of the Piano-Roll feature that will be present in the near future :yeah: .

Thanks & best regards.

Remco

I guess this isn’t a big deal to implement, since it will only be used for sending to VST’s and perhaps for some small visualization details. Also it can be used for shortcuts to move the edit cursor by one measure. I think it’s a good idea.

I think we need it anyway because of the Piano-Roll feature
that will be present in the near future

I don’t really see why we need it because of that. :unsure:
The only difference I can imagine is highlighting the ruler/grid lines for the start of a measure.

I guess this isn’t a big deal to implement

Great, that’s good news. :slight_smile:

I don’t really see why we need it because of that. :unsure:
The only difference I can imagine is highlighting
the ruler/grid lines for the start of a measure.

Yes exactly, for displaying ruler/grids, that would help a lot.

But maybe also for a metronome feature which a user could activate/deactivate during playback, where the first of four beats (in case of 4/4) sounds different than the following three beats. For example, metronome could be interesting for piano solos where no percussion is present. But it’s no problem to put some simple helping beat on a track manually, and remove it later.
Just thought it could be usefull for a future implementation.

By the way, I just saw the screenshot of the Piano Roll. I must say, that really rocks. Good job !

Thanks & regards,

Remco

(ignore this post, found a much more recent topic on this subject after I posted here)