Require more bass from speaker setup

Hey guys,

I’m currently browsing a few topics on the thread on speaker setups so if I find out appropriate information I’ll let the thread die :) I own a pair of Mackie MR5 MK2 active monitors and, while they sound superb, they emit nowhere near enough bass. I’m not a fantastic producer, engineer, mixer or masterer but have been offered a release on one of my all-time favourite net labels (not for my ambient ‘Ardeer’ music). So basically, I want my music to be on top form - I want to have the best quality sound possible; something that will translate well to any set of speakers. Currently however, I am finding that artists producing similar music get more bass out of their music and I don’t want my music to seem lacking in a professional quality on the release.

I’m a 19 year old student with limited funds so whatever I do here has to cheap. So, while this may sound like a novice question, I want to know - should I invest in a cheap-ass subwoofer to accompany my monitor setup or should I just continually listen to (and compare with) music similar to that which I produce and hope for the best? I’m also looking at getting a set of second-hand hi-fi speakers (possibly with a sub) so that I can hear my music as the general listening audience would hear it. There are a few decent looking ones near my area (Glasgow, Scotland) on Gumtree within my price range I’m looking into.

This whole post may sound a little silly and confused but I am overly excited by this release (purely made with Renoise by the way) and any advice on how to improve the sound I am currently getting would be much appreciated :P One final issue I should point out is that I use as my audio interface a Focusrite 2i2 and it only has one stereo output. I am aware that this may pose a colossal problem if I am required to connect additional speakers.

Cheers in advance for any advice that can be given.

get your stuff mastered? plenty of reasonably priced options out there these days…

Cool, I’ll be getting it professionally mastered anyway. Is it worth picking up a sub/ cheap set of speakers (to listen to stuff through once in a while) or should I stick it out with my monitors and get to know them better?