Rescan Midi-devices on Windows

This is more of a convenience-thing, more than anything else, but here goes anyway:

I have a CME Bitstream 3X midi-controller that I use via USB. I don’t have it turned on all the time, but if I start making music with Renoise and then feel like using the midi-controller, I have to save the track, close Renoise, start it again to make the midi-controller appear in the program, and then I can continue on the music.

My question is if there could be a “rescan midi device”-button in the Preferences > Midi, just as you can rescan your VST’s or reinitialize your soundcard if anything happends. That way, I could just make a rescan and continue making music.

(By the way, I really like that Renoise remembers the MIDI Mapping setting, even if the device isn’t available, so when I restart Renoise, it will still remember where it was assigned when it was previously available)

i know what your talking about,i have the same “problem” sometimes.

unfortunately, it seems that this is a limitation of Windows OS with USB MIDI devices; this is what taktik told me when I asked the same question during 1.9beta stage.

:drummer: a lot of other software can’t do this thing too, it would be very cool advantage if it could…

Well i have experimented how to avoid this thing, and came to a method how you can do it

First you have to possess an audio/midi interface.
Next thing you have to connect your midi cable from your midi controler midi out to audio/midi interfaces midi input.
Controler can be powered via powercord (usb should be unpluged) or via usb at this state usb used only as a power supply for the controler.
The main thing what is all about, is that instead you assign your controls via usb-midi, you use genuine midi controls.
And becouse your audio/midi interface is already connected, it can send midi command through it any time you connect your controler…

I hope i explained it clearly enough… if you need a youtube tutorial just ask me and i could try to film everything how its done…

I apply this method when i’m on live gigs to avoid rebooting renoise or other software…
p.s. Afcourse you have to reassign and prepare your midi mapping to a midi method…
Just try, experiment and you will gain succes!!! :walkman:

If you dont have a midi cable, just go to the nearest electronical parts supply store and buy two male 5 pin DIN conectors, some 3 wire cable (personaly i use stereo microfone cable, becouse 3 wires is enough it looks something like this http://shop.milgreta.lt/images/mc305.jpg )

and if you are used to soldering things or ever tired to solder use this small tutorial…

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/midi_cable.html

Yes, thats a limitation of the Windows MIDI/Audio architectures. On Linux and OSX new devices will be automatically added/removed a soon as you plug them in/out while Renoise is running…

Aha, then not much to do about this one. :)

migloJE: Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve been thinking about this as well, by basically having the midi-interface online all the time and connect the controller to this instead.

:) you are welcome :) well actualy before usb times this was the only way i think…

I had been meaning to make this suggestion for a while but found this thread.

This is possible with studio one and windows 7. It has a rescan (reconnect) button for exactly this function and will recognise a newly connected USB MIDI device.

Therefore a bump for this thread in the hope that it can be done now in windows(7+) version of renoise?

Apparently fruity loops does it too.

Thanks! guess it must be possible now then.

It could be tried, but i suspect you really need to hit a button to make Renoise repull the device list.

Yes studio one uses a button. This is fine though as it still saves the hassle of restarting and reloading any song you`re working on.

And to be able to assign a hotkey would be totally awesome.

Hotkeys are always nice :)

hey crytek, the reply you are quoting was written 4 years ago; things may have changed since then. For example, Windows 8 was not available at that times ;)

How many musicians would use Windows 8 seriously?
I gamble on the next version becoming more interesting again will be windows 9.
Or perhaps Windows will only turn a bigger OS bloat than it already was.

Ledges says in an above post that it should also be possible with Windows 7

Windows 8 and 7 are the same thing. 8 just has a different start menu and security features built in. There’s nothing to stop a musician to use it seriously.

Yep

“Rescan midi devices”

This is bugging me as well, so if it is possible to have this work with Win7, I’d benefit and appreciate it ^_^