Riftris - Tetris Clone Made In Unreal Engine 4

Dunno how much interest people will have here, but I’ve been learning Unreal Engine 4 and to get started I decided to recreate Tetris in the Blueprints system. The game went through several revisions as I kept learning more over time, eventually settling on this version.

If a VR headset is connected, the game’s executable will detect it and automatically use it as the display.

The project files are available for download, so feel free to grab them, have a look at how it all works, change things and maybe improve upon them. I also made a ‘quick’ 22 minute video guide. Hopefully people like myself who are starting out will find something useful here.

Project Files: http://duncanhemingway.com/downloads/6-Riftris-files.zip
Game .exe - Win64: http://duncanhemingway.com/downloads/6-Riftris.zip

Riftris-tn.png Riftris-end3-tn.png Riftris-end5-tn.png

2 Likes

Nice!

I’ve had the UE4 kit installed for a while now, but I still haven’t dug very deeply into it yet.

I always enjoy watching a good video on the subject — especially one that’s well organised and presented sooo nicely, damn! :dribble:

Thanks for uploading!

I also used this as an opportunity to learn Bootstrap and create a small websitefor the project.

DEEEEESTROYYYYYY LIIIIIIINE! schpowww!

OK, here’s the first update, with a couple of bug fixes and a bunch of changes that came about from rescaling everything. I also cleared the garbage from the Project Files, making them much smaller.

1 Like

So here’s version 1.2, which I wasn’t even going to do, but Unreal Engine 4.11 was a huge update, including support for Oculus Runtime 1.3. I’ve also added a Next Block indicator and the ability to control the randomness of picking new block types.

Hey, I’ve got a Vive now, so I thought I’d update this project to support both it and the motion controllers. In addition, you can now rotate the sun and fly around in any direction.

I want to use this project as a base for future work, so I’ve decided to add options that are expected from real games. This led to the creation of this update’s main feature: the modular menu system. To help with development I’ve also created a Trello board.

This update is titled, ‘More Of Everything’ due to both its sheer size – more than twice as much content as all of the others combined – and the fact that it enhances and extends everything: audio, graphics, controls, code, VR and menus.

This is the final update before taking the framework and building on it to work with music and Renoise. Though not as large as the last update, there’s still been a significant amount of additions and improvements.