Rough edges on Redux as multifx

As you might now, with the #Line input device it is possible to use Redux as a bare multifx.

Using static effects on any topology that has no feedback loops is supported. Macros allow external automation. This means that one can modulate a lot of parameters.

It is also possible to do some pattern-based effects, as e.g. the legendary CamelSpace VST did, unfortunately the best bet now is to write patterns externally as DAW automation controlling a macro. This has the side effect that patterns canā€™t be recalled on presets, so it is desirable to do this internally.

I will first explain a way to do this internally and then the rough edges with the approach.

To have internal patterns the next devices are needed in series: LFO envelope with Custom waveform (pattern), Formula, LFO envelope with Custom waveform (pattern), Formula, Hydra.

If we ignore both the formulas, the second LFO pattern is an AD envelope and the first LFO is modulating the Reset (envelope position) of this AD envelope. This way to add more gating or sustain requires only chaging this AD envelope, not tedious redrawing of every peak on the graph.

The first formula is just ā€œy = 0.5 - Aā€ to invert the first LFO, as the Reset parameter on LFOs goes from 1 to 0. The second formula is just ā€œy = 2*Aā€ to get the envelope to full range. The Hydra is just for forwarding these envelopes to any parameter.

Unfortunately this approach has some problems:

-The envelopes/LFOS donā€™t sync with the host, they are free running. This means that playing and stopping doesnā€™t work. There is a ā€œpainfulā€ workaround to Retrigger by using MIDI via a Note/Velocity tracker. This requires a dummy sample with silence and an own channel for Redux with MIDI and routing on the DAW.
-The LFO envelopes can store up to six presets (patterns), but there is no way to automate the pattern recall. Macros donā€™t allow it.
-This is a global problem on Redux as a FX. At least on Reaper when using the #line input the original signal arenā€™t replaced on the DAW. Redux acts as a send effect. Workarounds have to be made too with track channel redirections on the DAW.

camelspacey.xrni (6.0 KB)

1 Like

I found workarounds for two of the issues on Reaper by using JFSX. See attachments (they have the txt extension to be able to attach them here, The extension has to be dropped).

To workaround that Redux does work as a Send effect this can be done:

-Copying track channels 1/2 into 3/4.
-Muting track channels 1/2.
-Making Redux output on track channels 1/2 and take the input from 3/4.

This is what one of the attached JSFX does.

Then it was required to resync the LFOs to the host via velocity/note trackers. I made a JSFX that sends a NoteOn/NoteOff on same event every time playback is pressed. If you start playback from full bars it will be synced. This same JSFX can filter away other notes on the same channel (usually 0) so they donā€™t interfere.

With this receiving note/velocity on a dummy sample for resyncing doesnā€™t require a MIDI track.

playback-sends-c0-note.jsfx.txt (1.9 KB) track-channel-router.jsfx.txt (1.9 KB)

Now the only thing with no workaround is to be limited to just 1 pattern on the LFO, as memory recall canā€™t be automated via macro.

As of now Iā€™m using external host automation, but it would be nice to have pattern recall on the LFOs.

Another update. It is possible to make pattern-based multifx effects.

Just load a sine sample at high frequency and make patterns with it thinking that its output will be a control signal. Then with a Signal follower the modulations can be made.

You can also use the draw tool in the wave editor to draw an ā€˜envelopeā€™ for feeding into a signal follower for simulating automation.

Didnā€™t try that one. I donā€™t know how the signal follower behaves wrt DC filtering, thatā€™s why I was using high frequency sines with either envelopes or patterns.

Anyways, I didnā€™t like using the envelope follower. Iā€™m still using external automation unfortunately.