Rpg - The Renoise Phrase Generator

There are quite a few tools around that have some or a lot of the capabilities that RPG offers…

Excellent! Thanks, Icarus! :)

Yay! Pretend I deleted my previous post.

RPG doesn’t work with Renoise 3.0? :unsure:
After clicking »Generate« Renoise gets focus, but nothing happen.

Will there be an update? :)

Yes, there may be an update, if it turns out to be easy enough :)
I need to download Renoise 3, see its clipboard format and adjust the pasting feature.

Thank you, I’m happy to hear that. I can hardly wait! B)

Ok - so bad news.

There are two things that seems to have changed in the new Renoise:

1. The clipboard XML used to have a TrackColumns node, which is now renamed to Columns
    This of course is an easy fix

2. Renoise no longer accepts external keystrokes played by AutoHotkey
    Even these simple AutoHotkey commands below do nothing in Renoise (was just trying all of AutoHotkeys different ways of sending keystrokes)

SendInput {Home}
Send zxcvb
SendInput zxcv
SendPlay zxcv

Not sure what changed in Renoise that cause this, or if it can be avoided.
So for now, no dice…

Ok - scratch that.

I think I have a working version (only tested with the demo of Renoise 3, as I am no longer eligible for an upgrade)

If someone can test this before I publish the full package, it would be great.

Here is the link to the EXE and INI file
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5253945/temp/RPG%200.80%20Test.zip
( Just place the EXE and INI in your current RPG folder, overriding the older ones )

And for some peace of mind, here is the VirusTotal clean bill of health:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6c38afa727a8992cd953ed7ceb99d0b0f367297f197cda142d3235a7c422752e/analysis/1399728165/

When I try to launch it, I get “Cannot find skin file skins\Mahogany Metal.ini” and it won’t open.

edit: nevermind I guess I have to get the original rpg too and put it in the folder

edit2: Ok, works great! Thanks.

Yeah, the ZIP only includes the executable and configuration file, you need to put it over your original RPG folder.
Good to hear that its working. I will wait another day or two to see if anyone else tests this, so unless I hear of problems, I will place it on the site. Will post here when I do.

Thanks for testing.

It works, great. thanks. :)
If you need a little more help, I have some programming skills. ;)

Released version 0.80 with support for Renoise 3. Available at the usual place

If you are using a previous version of Renoise, there is a parameter in the configuration file called “RenoiseGeneration” - modify it as needed (instructions inside).

sweet! thanks once again. still one my fav tools. :]

Apologies if this seems a dumb question, but since this tool works inside Renoise, is there a way to install this on a Mac (OS X)? Perhaps the code has been recompiled somewhere already by someone? (I didn’t read through all 9 forum pages to see if that’s the case) TIA, tl

Actually, RPG does not work inside Renoise - it is an external tool, that happens to send “Paste” events to Renoise.
So unfortunately, no Mac version. Only Windows, sorry… :)/>

OK, I am probably doing something wrong, so sorry in advance if its a total newb thing.

I can’t get RPG to past to Renoise 3

I have both open, I select a RPG preset, ensure a track is selected (same as the data/tracks setting) and edit mode is on.

I hit generate and I can see the Renoise cursor change for a second, but no data entered.

(seems like the issue before 3.0 support was added.)
I couldn’t find any install instructions on the site, is it possible RPG doesn’t work with Renoise 64 bit?
or is there something else happening here?

I can generate and manually paste the notes into a track.

From my experiences with it, it’s extremely finicky and buggy. Sometimes it just completely ignores what settings/scale I set and generates something, that’s, just something in a completely different key etc.

@Icarus

Is there a way to use this in Renoise 2.72? Or an old version…

Many thanks for this, anyways - Great werx :ph34r:

@Icarus

Is there a way to use this in Renoise 2.72? Or an old version…

Many thanks for this, anyways - Great werx :ph34r:

Yes. It should work on all Renoise versions (unless there was some major change in the way 3.x handles the clipboard since the initial 3.x release).

See the RPG.ini file - towards the end there is a setting called “RenoiseGeneration”.

By default, it is set to “3” for Renoise >= 3.0 - set it to “1” or “2”, see which works with 2.72.

Just make sure RPG is closed when you change the INI file.

Yes. It should work on all Renoise versions (unless there was some major change in the way 3.x handles the clipboard since the initial 3.x release).

See the RPG.ini file - towards the end there is a setting called “RenoiseGeneration”.

By default, it is set to “3” for Renoise >= 3.0 - set it to “1” or “2”, see which works with 2.72.

Just make sure RPG is closed when you change the INI file.

Ok, got it; werx with Gen set to “1” :walkman: