Rx With Moving Slices

Rx in the Vol/Pan column re-triggers a sample from its current position. Applying this to a played slice (via key, not via Sxx) and moving the containing markers causes Renoise to constantly update the playback position, creating some interesting results.
3 Likes

Interesting. How would I sequence this?

2 Likes

Good question !

smc tool can automate start/end loop points, but not sure for slices

1 Like

That being said, there is one way that this can work, although the work is largely in the end user.

Using phrases and making your own slices in the audio, you can have a phrase sequencer select slices, and to randomize whether the slice plays or not, use the 0Y00 command with whatever percentage desired.

Then, apply the SMC Tool and LFOs or envelopes to add additional start/end/window sizes, pitch/panning/etc. I believe this technically should work, and is probably the most granular method available. It’s pretty random. I have not tested this, but I have tested each technique separately.

1 Like

The API allows markers to be moved around with:

renoise.song().instruments[].samples[]:move_slice_marker(old_marker_pos, new_marker_pos)

I figured there would be an existing tool to do this, but I can’t seem to find one. Might just have to build it.

2 Likes

@Achenar If you’re able to build this, would you be able to share it? It’d be really nice to add this as a Doofer to SMC Tool’s capabilities and save me time from entering data into a phrase (although I’ve made it a preset now) :smiley:

I keep begging for weird stuff, and this would be a way to get closer to the Cconfin form of granular synthesis - check out this video, and you’ll see the sample screen’s doing basically what your API’s would also create as a possiblity:

1 Like

I promise nothing, but I will investigate this matter to bring the movement of the slice to SMC. It would be a good way to launch a second version. I find it a very interesting feature.

As @Achenar points out, programming focuses on the move_slice_marker() function triggering from the note linked to the sample with the slice (only one).

But this will take time. Thank @Neuro_No_Neuro for his insistence on this matter.

I also appreciate the support received about the SMC tool. I really didn’t think there would be that many people interested. Some of yourselves are very rare! :sonriendo:

2 Likes