Ryzen settings for Renoise performance

Hi, i’m new to this forum so first of let me introduce myself, a long time tracker having starter on scream tracker III & fast tracker 2 back in the early 90’s… been tracking on and off since then mostly as a hobby but have done some game dev work in the past…

I have a Ryzen 9 3900x, which should be more than enough for complete arrangements with multiple plugin servers but I’m left wondering what would be the ideal ryzen hardware settings for Renoise 3.3?

Also Realtek chips don’t have the best asio support, what would be the best audio interface for Renoise recording as well as asio support for plugins?

I like to make complex plugin arrangements with a lot of chained effects and while Renoise 3.3 claims it’s using 45% of cpu, windows only reports 8% usage…

The question is what do you want to achieve in addition regarding to your PC?
Optimizing Windows for audio is basically the opposite as boosting it for games & graphics.

Depending on your use cases, it could be quite nifty to create different hardware profiles for your use cases like shown here:

How to create a hardware profile in Windows 10 - Super User

Most of the audio optimizing is to be found here:

20 ways to optimize your Windows 10 PC for music production | Bandzoogle Blog

or in more detail here:

Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10 – Knowledge Base | PreSonus

There are a few hints on Ryzen to be found here:

AMD Ryzen, RAM & Audio PC’s - Unlock up to 20% Extra DAW Power! - YouTube

I don’t know, if they are (still) guilty, because I`ve to stick with my old I7. So try them at ya own risk. :wink:

If you are in need of real SC3 or Impulse Tracker compatibility you should install Open MPT as well, since the major goal of Renoise is being Renoise rather than being SC3.

The audio interface is also a matter of use cases.

The Soundblaster AE cards are a good value for money and common use cases.

The best value for money and any audio based use cases are instead
the cards of RME. https://rme-audio.com/
They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. With the built-in total mix software you`ve got even a digital mixer on your fingertips. The drivers are extremely reliable and optimized for low latency audio.

There are of course a lot of budget alternatives. Comparing to my past I’d never thought, that I’d recommend Behringer devices, but they made huge steps in the development and also have drivers for Linux.

The Behringer XR mixers are a mixture between sound cards digital mixers and docking stations. Your environment must be optimized for LAN and WLAN, though.

Behringer | Product | XR18

The Behringer UMC 404 which I use is a bargain for a 4 in and 6 out card and even has send channels if you want to connect some hardware effects.

Behringer | Product | UMC404HD

However, the latency is not the best. I seldom can mage it to operate at 64 samples latency. It works best on higher buffers.

Other budget cards are:

Scarlett Solo | Focusrite

But beware to get an actual model. A friend lent me an older one for practice and I experienced strange aliasing effects and noises you can create with the Lofimat in Renoise.

ESI Audiotechnik GmbH (esi-audio.de) also has a lot of budget cards to have a look at. Take care, that most of them just support audio. You need a midi interface in addition.

There are also the M-Audio Air interfaces. M-Audio Unfortunately, I don’t know, if could recommend them, since I don’t know somebody who has one. The information found on the net is a bit similar having a Motu plugged to a PC. Either it works or you run into trouble.

The Steinberg interfaces maybe worth a look, too:

UR22mkII: Leading in Its Class | Steinberg

Since I didn’t get one under my fingertips, I only can advice to read the information on the net.

What I don’t recommend is any device of Zoom as a sound card. Their field recorders maybe ok, as long as you won’t connect them to your PC. The drivers are a mess. I even couldn’t manage to operate their thunderbolt device on a friends Mac.

The CPU load in Renoise is unfortunately very high. A lot of people have this problem including me. I’m still fiddling around with it.
I’m still rendering everything as a sample to avoid overload. :wink:
A tipp was to decrease the sample rate, but i can’t go lower than 44.1 kHz.
Also Hyper V could be bad in this case. You can try and deactivate it.
Disable Hyper-V to run virtualization software - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs

1 Like

RME is the best quality

Focusrite is the best-seller

There is also this german brand
https://www.esi-audio.com/

thanks for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.