Sample aliases?

Hi,

For sure someone already posted this idea: What about simple sample aliases in the instrument section? For example if I want to create an unison effect, currently I need to duplicate the played samples. Instead creating an alias in an empty sample slot from one sample would be more efficient and logical…

This isn’t to say I don’t think sample aliases are a good idea, but I don’t know if I"d want to use them to create a unison effect. Every manually created unison I’ve ever set up, or using tools like awesome saws, the result has sounded pretty bad compared to unison effects in synths. There’s some kind of weird phasing or something that goes on. There’s a technical explanation for this somewhere, but personally I would sample already unsion’d synths rather than create my own in Renoise.

Hm, this is offtopic, but maybe a good, non phasing unison in Renoise Instr section could be for each osc/sample a random Lfo on pitch with endless length (most possible length) plus some static added individual detune value for each osc to ensure that the frequency never will be too near to the next.

This isn’t to say I don’t think sample aliases are a good idea, but I don’t know if I"d want to use them to create a unison effect. Every manually created unison I’ve ever set up, or using tools like awesome saws, the result has sounded pretty bad compared to unison effects in synths. There’s some kind of weird phasing or something that goes on. There’s a technical explanation for this somewhere

I’m pretty sure that any synth that base it’s unison effect on slightly detuned and/or panned (but otherwise similar) voices would have phasing issues as well. At least, that’s what I have experienced.

There must be other factors in play here…?

Maybe, can’t say I fully understand why. I think I remember seeing a post somewhere though that had an explanation.

Here’s a simple comparison. I used Padsynth to setup the unison settings as AwesomeSawce doesn’t work in R3, but it mostly sounds the same as what I remember hearing in AwesomeSawce. It just sounds bad and phasey.

Simple comparison with Synth1 but most any synth with unison will sound obviously “right” compared to how it sounds when you try to set it up in Renoise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adk4m35dolzuqp9/unisontest.xrns?dl=0

edit: I found an old AwesomeSawce .xrni I made, and it sounds a little better but still pretty phasey and just doesn’t sound right.