Sample Box Placement

There are not many programs that have an insert, add and replace function without bugging you with a contextmenu for that or a dialog.
Also, the keyzones have been designed to allow overlaps so there is no good way to figure out if someone wants to overlap or overwrite a zone.

understandable.
There will however still remain a lot of sorting and cutting and moving work to do with this kind of instrument and zone structure.
I have the same sort of shit with VSampler, it is quite powerful but it is also a lot of work to build a good instrument with it.

Well, for me, being able to see both boxes (instruments and samples) would solve it. I could just put together my drumkit on the fly while browsing.
Anyway, I just wanted to bring your attention to this.

+1

The workaround that I am using on my netbook is exactly as Taktik mentioned above:

I am just clicking the audio samples in the file browser to preview and dragging and dropping them onto the instrument map window on the keys that wish them to be assigned to (drop at the top of the instrument map for a single key, middle for one octave or at the bottom for two octave spans).

To speed this up I have one screenview preset with the upper sample file browser and instrument map and one preset with the lower instrument settings panel and the instrument map.

It works surprisingly well actually.

Yeah, but it is completely mouse dependent.

The more I work with this version the more I agree with this poster’s comment. why was it moved anyway?

Just working on converting folders of samples to xrnis and I keep coming back to this, no doubt about it the placement of the sample box is unfortunate.

Any feelings on moving the sample box right back to where it was?

Any feelings on moving it right next to where it was (like the last mockup I posted in this thread)?

should we open a vote? :)

Please, don’t move back the sample box, i love the way it is now, lot more efficient than before on big screen ^^

Maybe an option that allow user to choose the placement of the box could be the best way to make everybody happy…

(sorry for my really bad english :wacko: )

What we have in the queue for an upcoming version (actually it was in the 2.7 plan but didn’t made ito 2.7 cause we ran out of time), was something like:

[+] Instrument 1  
[+] Instrument 2  
 Sample 1  
 Sample 2  
 ---  
[+] Instrument 3  
 VST: Bla  

A kinda combinded sample & instrument box, collapsed by default so that you only see insturments, also showing MIDI and plugin nodes.

I understand that the current layout is not ideal for netbook resulutions, but on all the “usual” big screens it does the job just fine.

i think that would be a great solution.

Seen the old mock-ups of that and think just about everybody agreed it would be a good method.

is it not worth considering keeping the old, split Instrument/Sample box next to Disp Op, with the sample only box in the Instrument Settings, until this is implemented?

as long as that would still allow the new functionality of batch-settings (select multiple samples, set them all to autoseek), i suppose that would at least stop some confusion.

Why would it break any functionality whatsoever? It would just be a slight waste as it’s a repeat of a list but may help a lot of people in the transition from the old to the new…

…just you and Fladd on netbooks right? :lol:

No seriously, having the good 'ol sample selection back in the top half of the screen wouldn’t hurt imo.

i don’t know, i just like the new behaviour so scared it will break. as with most fears, it doesn’t have a lot of rational ground.

Nope I’ve got a 17" laptop and doesn’t bother me personally but can understand why it would other people.

Especially if there’s talk of bringing samples back to the top Instrument section (although under expandable + signs) then to fully remove it and bring it back later seems more weird than to keep it the old way, with the new, sample only list in Instrument Settings too.

love the instrument/sample combo idea brought up by taktik… agree it might just make sense to move it back up to the top now if it’s going back up there anyway as indicated.
kaz- you have to read all the words :) what I was referring to in the mockup wasn’t the idea of scaling vertically- that’s what people seemed to agree with hands down. What I was referring to was the fact that the mock up had suggested moving the sample box back up to the top. moot point now it seems anyway though.

alright. I’m done with this thread. I think I’ve been loud enough on this =)

Taktik, I really think what you had was better. The moving of of the multiple samples for the upper part the the lower part of the screen is just not that comfortable as it was.

Exactly what I was thinking. +1