Sample Box Placement

Hi there,

the new placement of the sample box is very unfortunate. On some small screens (netbook for instance), it is not possible to see the browser and the sample box at the same time, since they are now in different panels and on small screens those two panels cannot be shown at the same time (for whatever reason).

So I think there should be some solution for this problem. One (but not necessarily the best) solution would be to be able to see both panels at the same time.

Uhm, yes, just as I said…

Anyway,is anyone with me on this? I think it is weird not to be able to see WHERE I put my samples from the sample browser to.

It’s a point.

Quickest fix I can think of is allowing both top and bottom panels to be visible on netbooks.

Next-best fix I think might be to allow the instrument list to span down to the bottom of the window (via a “more” button specific to that area only) and allow the old samples-view to show at this time.

EDIT: Wyse PocketCloud on Galaxy Tab is another use-case for 1024x600, not just dying old 2008 netbooks :)

Surpised there’s been no word from the devs on this yet . This is really becoming a pain on my netbook.

making music on a netbook is your first mistake :wink:

Why? It is pretty nice when being on the road.

I’m using 1024/768 on an old thinkpad that’s running renoise. (remarkably by the way)
I find now I must collapse the top or bottom with almost everything I do now.
I can’t remember if it was like this before with 1.281 and 1.5 I don’t have them installed either.
but I swear I remember being able to see so much more on the screen back then.

load up a tune and drive!

it’s really quite nice having a computer in the auto, you can really get to see exactly what frequencies shake it. :D

1.5 and older didn’t had the pattern editor toolbar and didn’t had the pattern matrix
Owh, and you can hide the pattern editor toolbar by right-clicking the pattern editor and then uncheck “Show Control Panel”

Maybe, only when the upper frame is full-opened by the “More” button, it should be returned to an old display method of the Instr. Selector? It may be a bit step-backed solution though.
We need more appropriate browser re-layout in the future, imho.

Btw, I want to use such “netbook layout” on my normal laptop (1280 X 768) too.
It’s useful when I want to use 2 instances of Renoise.

[Edit] Ah sorry, now I notice that martyfmelb have already suggested such idea. I agree with it ;)

if the instrument list multi-samples could be expandable, like a song in the diskop through the little [+] symbol, everybody’s happy :) .

lame reply Jonas. Many people make music on the road. 15 years ago it was “making music on your computer is your first mistake” look at us now.

yeah it was something like a joking dig, hence the :wink: , of course if you’re seriously making music on the road, you’d get a LAPTOP!

And that’s why Taktik allowed lower screen resolutions for Renoise so you could at least run Renoise on a netbook?

mSepsis:
Can I split and move this idea into “Ideas and Suggestions”? Definitely a great idea for later.

Please be my guest and move this suggestion to the other thread… There would be l o t s to discuss and I was thinking myself, maybe it doesn’t belong in a 2.7 suggestions thread ;p

resize-upper-and-lower-parts-of-the-interface

May I ask how this is partly done in B5?

We’ve tried to solve the “main” problem:

Which means you can select multiple samples and load them into ONE instrument now.

You also can drag samples from the disk browser to the keyzone editor. This will load them and also create key zone mappings for them.

That was not the “main” problem I reported.
The problem for me is that when browsing samples, I don’t know in advance which set of samples goes into one instrument.
I browse and when I find a suitable Kick, then I add it. Then, when I stumble upon a suitable Snare, I want to add it to the same instrument, different sample. Then, I might come across another Kick and think this is better, so I want to replace the old one with the new one.
All this involves navigating within the sample slots of an instrument, which, on a netbook, are simply not visible right now!

It brings up a good question: what was the justification in the first place to move the sample slots to the bottom third of the screen into the “instrument settings” tab?
Could something like this solve the problem w/o introducing others??

The mockup that got moved to another thread here that I did showed something similar but I didn’t really speak to it. I was challenging the idea in my head that all instrument/sample/vst/midi browsing could/should be done from the top third, reserving the bottom third of the GUI for settings and options… Overall keeping the sample selection box down buried in the instrument settings doesn’t seem to really have much point.