Sample Recording Without Audio Input - Record Renoises Playback

Version: Renoise 2.5B9 on a MacBook Pro.

Current Behaviour: If I want to resample a sound from a VST instrument (NOT using the render plugin to instrument option) it will not record any sound unless I turn on the audio input.
As the audio input is the Mac’s built in mic, it will record the ambient sounds as well as the VST instruments and the relevant tweaks.

Expected Behaviour: As resampling occurs internally only, I should be able to resample from VST without activating the audio input.

As a workaround, I can always use the Render plugin to instrument option, but sometimes you just want record a sound while doing some manual tweaks…

Hey,

what exactly do you mean with “resampling a sound from a VST instrument”. How do you do that without the plugin grabber?

The sample recorder in Reneoise (see http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Recording_New_Samples) will only record external sources like MICs or LinIn signals. If you want to offline render, then you should use Renoises render selection to sample feature: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Render_%26_Resample_Parts_of_the_Song or the plugin grabber: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Render_or_Freeze_Plugin_Instruments_to_Samples

What I’m trying to do is to resample a VST instrument directly from the Sample Recorder without using the offline render methods.
The big advantage of this is immediacy, you don’t have to record your tweaks to the plugin in Renoise before recording, you just press record, play a note while tweaking the VST plugin and voila’, you have your sound ready to be used.

As I can do this with MIDI instruments (when I plug in my external audio card of course), I was expecting to be able to do the same with VST instruments.

You can either record external sources (sample recorder) or resample internally (plugin grabber or rendering selections to sample) in Renoise. Theres nothing in “between” which allows you to record directly what Renoise plays with the sample recorder.

You could try routing your soundcards line out to the line in, and record this. Be careful though, because this will create feedback when monitoring and you might not be able to hear the output anymore because this disabled the macs speakers.

Let me move this to “Ideas & Suggestions” please.

I’m on board for this too. It will be very helpful to be able to record VSTi output in real time, especially when playing fast parts with quick knob twiddling. I’m getting around this using Voxengo Recorder for the time being, but it’ll be way more comfortable to have this option built in.

you can resample your vst instruments ( record what you play in the audio editor ) if your audio card supports it …I can do this with my edirol ua 25 …I don’t know how to do this on mac …

Yes you can …I am doing this a lot , I am using a edirol ua 25 and its able to resample/record the output internally
For example I play back a song in renoise , go to a empty instrument slot , enable resampling on my soundcard ( labelled digital in ) press record in the audio editor …et voila …
You can do even do this with a cheap onboard soundcard ( in windows select wave for recording input…)

I can do this on my m-audio delta series card as well. using the monitoring output. so as stated above… it’s all up to your audio card settings, really. No use for an extra feature…

/Andy

Indeed ,I think people should investigate some more in their gear/audio set up and see what it can do before asking new features for renoise wich are already possible .
Like I said earlier , you can even do this with an onboard cheap soundcard , and activating wave record in the windows mixer recording tab .

For window users with a cheap onboard soundcard
Just go to the windows mixer and activate wave in the record window
NOw press record in renoise audio editor , I don’t think the developers team should waste their time to implement this feature as it is allready there .

+1 i would really appreciate being able to record in-renoise stuff (vsti, mucking around with samples) directly, instead of offline.

Strangely this is something that has more often been present on cheap cards. Very few professional audio interfaces have traditionally let you record their output (record what you hear) while onboard sound and cheap SoundBlaster type cards have often given you the option.