Sampled Instrument Key Mapping

I’m brand new to Renoise. I’m attempting to compose some Gamelan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamelan)music via Renoise. I have a sampled gamelan and I’ve managed to create instruments out of them. The question I have right now is about the key mappings. Gamelan is not tuned to a western scale. Every Gamelan is tuned to itself. By changing the bass note of the key I want to map a sample to, I found that I can get Renoise to play the sample at pitch. The scale I’m using has just 7 notes (usually they are just referenced by number 1, 2, …7). Most instruments have just one octave. I’ve mapped the instruments to the notes A-3, B-3, C-4, D-4, E-4, F-4, G-4 to make it easier to keep track of the composition. What I would like to do is to make all the other keys dead, so that striking an A#-3 will result in no sound rather have it play something off key. Is there any way to do this in Renoise? My main reason for wanting to do this that some of the instruments I have are missing notes (usually by design). There are a lot of instruments and it would be easier, if I got no key strike if I tried to hit a note that didn’t exist for a particular instrument. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Slim

In the box where you add the multi-samples you can press the plus sign to add an empty slot, now just assign to the keys you want to be silent and they will be, like this:

what Rex said, in short, is: map the dead keys to void samples

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for.