Sampling: sample cuts off at next key press

Hello,

I sampled a conga hit from a synth. Sounds all right but, when two samples are played quickly on after the other, the first sample gets chopped off so that the next one plays. Whereas on the synth the same note can be played quickly with no ‘chopped’ effect. Is there a way in Renoise to be able to play a same sample quickly, on the same note, without the previous sample being cut ?

Cheers.

Check sample settings. Set NNA to Continue.

Hmmmm… Even with the ‘continue’ setting, it still cuts off. Should it be set prior to recording the sampling ?

Hmmmm… Even with the ‘continue’ setting, it still cuts off. Should it be set prior to recording the sampling ?

Does your instrument contain multiple conga samples? If so, then you’ll need to set the NNA action for each sample.

Can you upload a small example XRNS song which only contains the conga sound and a quick demo pattern to show the problem? Then we can take a closer look at what is happening.

Yes, I can upload - aber wo ?

Update: Wait. Once in a track the sample seems to be just fine. What I described only pertains to usign the on-screen sample keyboard. It could very well be that this screen keyboard to play samples is meant to have this benaviour.

I do have one question. So I sampled a few sounds. I did not add any effects to them. Now, when I put these sounds inside tracjs, I then add effects to the tracks. But when I go back to the sampling tab and press a keyboard note, then the sample plays witht he effect, even though there are no effects in the sampling effect chain for that sample. I would have expected that the sample would still play as it was sampled, and not with effects. Is this a bug ?

Cheers.

when I go back to the sampling tab and press a keyboard note, then the sample plays witht he effect

When you trigger a sample by playing a note, then it will always play back through the currently selected track. If that track happens to contain some DSP effects, then you’ll hear the sample being played through that DSP effect chain.

In the Sampler section, there’s a track selector in the bottom left corner of the screen. This allows you to change the active track, just as you would change tracks within the Pattern Editor or Mixer. You most likely do not have any major effects on the Master track, so auditioning your notes via the Master track may be a good idea.

Alternatively, if you switch to the Sampler’s Waveform editor, then you can press the play button there (or use the default Return key) to play the raw sample directly, which will bypass any track DSPs.

Yes, I can upload - aber wo ?

Update: Wait. Once in a track the sample seems to be just fine. What I described only pertains to usign the on-screen sample keyboard. It could very well be that this screen keyboard to play samples is meant to have this benaviour.

Yeah…Renoise is mainly a sequencer and not meant for actually playing stuff live and record it, I think. There are all kinds of unexpected behaviours once you start trying to record your live playing on the keyboard or external midi devices.

on-screen sample keyboard

By default, your sample will not have a volume envelope assigned to it. This means that as soon as the sample encounters a note-off event — like when releasing your mouse button in the on-screen keyboard — the sample will immediately stop playing.

If you add an AHDSR or volume envelope to the sample modulations, then you can change its behaviour to give it some sustain, decay, etc., so that the sample will actually continue to play for a while after the note-off occurs.

The NNA (New Note Action) property only defines how the sample should behave when it is directly cut off by another note. This behaviour is separate from when the sample is stopped by an explicit note-off event.

You can combine sample modulations, NNAs, and mute groups in various ways, to achieve different playback behaviours depending on what you need.