Save Dsp Chains?

Is there a way to save/transfer DSP chains to use in a different song? Will the parameters on VSTs/AUs be saved as well?

Click the DSP Chains tab, and then Save when you’ve selected the track with the DSP Chain you want to save. ^^

To save…

• Navigate to the correct track so that the DSP chain you want to save is visible
  • Go the Disk Browser page at the top of the screen
  • Make sure “DSP Chain” is selected from the list of available options on the left
  • Type in a filename and hit the save button

To load…

• Navigate to the correct track that you want to load the DSP chain into
  • Make sure “DSP Chain” is selected from the list of available options on the left
  • Select and load the filen you want

You should also be aware of the “Device Chain Import > Replace existing chain” option in Renoise’s preferences. (In the Files or Imp/Export section, depending on your version of Renoise). This dictates whether a DSP chain you load will replace the existing chain, or will instead be merged with the existing devices.

Ok, thanks.

Also, is there a way to save DSP chains with instruments so they always open when you load the instrument? If not, I think that would be a good feature to put in. I’m used to Reason’s combinator device if you know what I mean.

Edit: Oh, it seems there’s an error…

No you currently cannot save DSP chains combined with instruments. The only way to do that is simply save the song, but i guess that does not resolve the point in wanting to load it seperately…
The error is an OSX problem:you cannot save in the Renoise library folders because these folders are erased by OSX with each upgrade or reinstall of Renoise. You would loose your stuff that resides in there…

So does that mean I need to make a separate folder elsewhere and save it there? Kind of inconvenient…

Yes, you have to make a separate folder.

You don’t save stuff in ~/Library/ - This is an OSX convention, not a Renoise thing.

The Library is reserved for program settings, not your personal files. If you are saving files in ~/Library/ for other apps then you are doing something wrong and depending on your level of expertise with OSX, you risk screwing up your Macintosh.

Read: http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/LoadSave - Specifically the part about “Directory Management”

Myself, I keep all my files in /Users/dac514/Music/ (Replace dac514 with Kyle for you) and use the Home/Shortcut number buttons to access the files quickly.

an OSX problem?
isnt all he is just doing:

• Navigate to the correct track so that the DSP chain you want to save is visible
  • Type in a filename and hit the save button

if you do exactly this, you get this error-msg since version 1.x (cant remember) on windows. full or beta.

maybe its just me but my old renoise 1.5 folder has some instruments saved into its “Instruments” -dir.

after de-install, why not just erase all data that comes with renoise and leave user generated files?

Yes exactly. The word is convention. Not problem. (Or, it’s simply vvools anti OSX bias)

Because user files don’t belong in the Library directory. These are reserved for Renoise settings/defaults.

If you want to modify the defaults, copy them somewhere else.

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to mention that part. Others here have already addressed it I guess.

No there was no pun intended here, it was just a poor choice of wording.