Scratching In Renoise

m1nt!!eyeshit— its like sumthing like that you gave pain for my medication! thumbz up!

SUPERB! Especially with the fast beat. I can site so many scratches from albums that are identical in style.

You nailed fast scratching PERFECTLY. I listen to enough hiphop old/new to make this determination ;)

scratch.mp3 is nice, however, i can pin the computerized pitchshifting in ot somehow :)

i think the point is: using originally loaded samples which are not scratched before

( the link for fmc_lisz.mp3 is broken tho:\ )

nagz: nope, its up and running…
too bad there are RNS files posted here, (i’m on my work so cant listen to rns files here:/)

nagz, i think you pushed the wrong link… take the one from my post and it works.

cosmiq.nl < more scratching (ie. ‘berts fiets is weg’)

wow this is nice… thanks for sharing the demos… it helps a lot… i’m still learning renoise…

Wow that’s wonderful. The scratching was excellent. And the beat-cutting too. Why don’t you make a full song out of it? I would love to listen! :)

Anyone have a copy of the original xrns files? I got 404 not found.

I would also get them

i want them too!

I don’t have those tutorials but if you search for scratchouille you will find 2 xrns files with a dsp preset that sound really good

Had a search through my xrns/mods folders and came up with three with the name scratchouille in and one called signal_follower_scratch so I have packed them together and uploaded below. (Not listen since download I don’t think though.)

don’t forget you can do some scratch tricks with samples in Renoise using the loop-sustain button in the sample editor / properties if you set the loop mode to “backwards”…

(simply hit a note key and release on the moment you want reverse playing to start, try it on beat samples)

yeah, but it’s difficult to make it sound decent

Thanks, you provided a couple files that were to longer valid on the scratchouille thread. :slight_smile:

That technique works, but was curious to see other’s methods for trying it. It sounded like the techniques mentioned in this thread, though old, sounded good. That’s why I was curious. :slight_smile:

I remember once I did some pseudo scratching by rendering to sample some synthetized sounds together, did some tight volume/pitch enveloppe then use them with my m-audio keyboard, using the pitch wheel, recording live. Actually, I was pretty glad of the results as it didn’t sound like “normal scratches” as I’m not into “most normal hiphop music” at all but at all, I kept the idea of a “scratch movement” applied to the sound.

There could be plenty different ways to emulate some scratch sounds by simply thinking about the nature of a scratch.
Which is simply a backward and a forward movement on a sample… the backward going progressively faster and the forward could actually be progressively a tad slower.

Remember, the “render selection to sample” feature might again be your best friend in this adventure :)

The requested URL /rns/scratch_tutorial_1.xrns was not found on this server.

:(

If you have an ipod/ipad, it may just be easier to sample a scratch into ReNoise using FlareScratch. It’s fairly easy to use and you can get pretty good, if simplistic scratching audio that can be fixed and chopped in ReNoise. I think the app is like 2 dollars or something. I forget. I’ve used it several times. I will say it’s probably a LOT easier on iPad than iPod. I use it on iPod and I feel like I’m using the world’s smallest turntable…heh… (cue world’s smallest violin playing a sad song motion)

I’m a Turntablist… if you want i can scratch on a beat and then you try to recreate my scratches via Renoise

It could be a new scratch compo :slight_smile:

i just fixed this link.

http://indigo.13th-floor.org/toast.rns

looks like the original file is from 2005. what’s that then, renoise 1.28?