Scream Filter!!!

Sound example of reaktor primary /renoise scream filter

https://app.box.com/s/zvik8apxkacdj81a39yi6vtso1gf5itx

You think buying expencive software to replicate simple filter is the answer… :)I will go with the utility tool, the main question is why hide filters when they are still active for the backwards compatibility…

The utility tool won’t do it , because you’l need to process each sample iow … @ audio rate .

Yes , I have been asking for a formula device that processes at audio rate for ages .

And yes , I have bought reaktor .8 years ago for a verry nice price 150 euro , which is not much considering it costed around 450 .

You can get it now for 200 …GO for it

You can recreate scream

Low pass filter + distortion module set to shift ( no changes made )

Ok, i was thinking of rectifying as in electronics where you rectify a signal by using diodes to force it in one direction, in other words into a DC signal. Seems quite different from the rectifying you are talking about. Seems a bit weird to call something like that a rectifier imo, i don’t understand how that can rectify, as in the meaning of the word, anything at all?

Yes i use the shift distortion quite often. I like for instance a sine wave with a shift distortion followed by a fold distortion and filter at the end. Modulate the filter for a wobbling bass.

Exactly , rectifying is not just adding a constant offset , it is in fact mirroring the negative phase upwards–> positive .

If you’ll look at the screenshot you’ll see that the negative portion of the saw wave is flipped , it becomes a triangle with positive energy only , the ripples are because of the resonance .

Some verry mild hp filtering to get rid of dc offset, a log value of 2 is about 5 hz ( out of my head ) .

Do the following test , draw a saw wave and select the distortion module ( don’t change anything ) , set to shift and look at the osciloscope …what do you see/hear …?

A triangle wave ( witth a spike in the middle ) , the shift algoritm is also using a rectifier .

Now add a low pass filter before the distortion it …et voila

Scream filter = low pass filter + distortion in shift mode .

Problem solved …

Thread can be closed

:slight_smile:

@thebellows: It’s rectifying because a diode bridge rectifier without a smoothing capacitor would be usedfor thiseffect withelectronics, with a high pass pass filter after to get rid of the resulting DC offset.

Bridge-Rectifier-Input-Output-Waveforms.

Exactly , rectifying is not just adding a constant offset , it is in fact mirroring the negative phase upwards–> positive .

If you’ll look at the screenshot you’ll see that the negative portion of the saw wave is flipped , it becomes a triangle with positive energy only , the ripples are because of the resonance .

Some verry mild hp filtering to get rid of dc offset, a log value of 2 is about 5 hz ( out of my head ) .

Do the following test , draw a saw wave and select the distortion module ( don’t change anything ) , set to shift and look at the osciloscope …what do you see/hear …?

A triangle wave ( witth a spike in the middle ) , the shift algoritm is also using a rectifier .

Now add a low pass filter before the distortion it …et voila

Scream filter = low pass filter + distortion in shift mode .

Problem solved …

Thread can be closed

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the hint, will test if it works for my drum synthesis and some other instruments i made using sream filter…

don’t forget to put a filter in front of the dist ( shift mode) …drive set to zero …as seen in screenshot

I have build a doofer and mostly this setup works, LP+shift distortion almost sounds the same yet there is some audible compression, but i find very different results when you set HP and shift distortion, it sound different (i droped some break to test the results and filter+distortion setup sound more compressed while original scream filter sounds more gated)…

I made a test track… Any help to solve this?

Download link
https://we.tl/75fE7crwHk

The original scream filter has an older filter algoritm .

It’s basicaly as I have described , no intricate algoritms …just plain rectifier after filter .,

Could also use (filter ) pow¨^² , or filter multiplied by itself …almost the same result …but atm renoise doesn’t give us the option to do math stuff at audio rate .

The original scream filter has an older filter algoritm .

It’s basicaly as I have described , no intricate algoritms …just plain rectifier after filter .,

Could also use (filter ) pow¨^² , or filter multiplied by itself …almost the same result …but atm renoise doesn’t give us the option to do math stuff at audio rate .

Pity, this proofs that some times it’s useless to hide some effects… Afcourse i’m ok with making some doofers but you know i don’t want to wait for that day when developers will decide to hide reverb and offer to make doofer out of delays to make a reverb… :smiley: