Scrolling pattern editor horizontally & track selection

This is weird, but when I have Track 1 selected, then grab the horizontal scrollbar and move it to the right, so that I can see the Send 1 track, then Track 1 gets unselected, and the last visible track on the left side will be selected.

What is even weirder is that, when I just checked that behaviour in 3.0, it is the same!

Yes, it makes sure that the cursor is never hidden. You’d else not see what and that you’re currently editing - probably filling up the pattern with notes and stuff by accident.

But it works correctly in the mixer…I find this very confusing. You cannot quickly look something up, without loosing the view of the device you were tweaking on. Except of course you first switch to the mixer :wink:

Concerning the cursor issue: I’d rather not see what I am editing, but be assured I am editing what I was intending to edit, than having the option to see what I am editing, but it being not the thing I intended to edit and I might not look at it to see that.

This is one of those issues that I tend to agree in principle that it should not be the way it is, but in practice it works for me.

As a consequence I get a bit annoyed with the mixer behaviour, having to hunt for the selected track sometimes. – I think that has more to do with selected tracks being fairly visually muted in the mixer though.

In the mixer it has to be that way of course, otherwise you could not mix at all, if your track changes everytime you have a look at another one (busses, sends, etc.) :slight_smile:

In the pattern editor I somehow expected this behaviour, too. Not sure how often, in real life, you compare tracks in there, though.

In the mixer it has to be that way of course, otherwise you could not mix at all, if your track changes everytime you have a look at another one (busses, sends, etc.) :slight_smile:

In the pattern editor I somehow expected this behaviour, too. Not sure how often, in real life, you compare tracks in there, though.

yes, very true about the mixer! Just me losing my bearings sometimes when switching back and forth to the pattern ed. :blink:

I`ve hacked together a script now that helps with the visual selection too with colour blends, so I do have less to complain about :slight_smile: just need to update for 3.1 though…