SDS and SMDI sample transfer over MIDI compatibility

(gravedraq) #1

Hi Renoise community,

I have a few hardware samplers from the 90s (like Akai, E-mu, Yamaha and Ensoniq) and I use Renoise as my sample management tool to cut, loop and prepare my samples. I currently export as .Wav format and uses Elektron´s tool C6 to transfer my samples over midi. This is possible due to that many of the hardware samplers from that era supported “sample over midi” [SDS and SMDI protocol]

Idea:

How about a feature, where you can dump samples over midi from Renoise directly to you hardware sampler? (Like people did in the pastin the early versions of Propellerhead ReCycle)

Does that makes sense? :slight_smile:

(GUEST:::El°HYM) #2

wouldnt #scsi make a bit more sense with those machines?..could be wrong though; didnt us midi sample dumb since the 90s or something.

(gravedraq) #3

Yeah, but there are also hardware samplers without this SCSI port or where it was an additional hardware option, which you should buy extra in the past.

(GUEST:::El°HYM) #4

Do u kno how long it takes to dump samples via midi…we’re in 2018 now. sounds a bit #flatearth minded to me. B)

But good look with ur task, anyway.

(gravedraq) #5

Do u kno how long it takes to dump samples via midi…we’re in 2018 now. sounds a bit #flatearth minded to me. B)

But good look with ur task, anyway.

I understand your point-view, but there are still people who commit to hardware and older technology :wink:

(EatMe) #6

I found a command line utility that can convert many audio formats to SDS format:

http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Next steps, anybody?

-to find a (command line) utility that can play back these SDS files for transferring them into the sampler

-scripting a Renoise .lua tool to combine Renoise with such command line utilities

(gravedraq) #7

I found a command line utility that can convert many audio formats to SDS format:

http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Next steps, anybody?

-to find a (command line) utility that can play back these SDS files for transferring them into the sampler

-scripting a Renoise .lua tool to combine Renoise with such command line utilities

**Thumps up from here!**