Search For Tuto To Make Good Instruments With Samples

I’ve many many samples (arround 20go) and some of them are multi instruments.
I’ve go 4 notes for same instruments for example (C3, C4, C5) and i want to create a complete and correct instrument with it but result doesn’t like to be ok.

Is it exist a good tutorial to explain how to create this correctly ? The main problem concern the loop inside the sample when i maintain the key on. I’ve problem to set the loop (forward, ping ping, revers) and i hear a “scratch” when sample loop on that.

Have you any idea to the best pratice to create correct instrument ?

Thanks.

This video explains you the basics of adding samplers to an instrument and assigning them to the virtual keys:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/UVTUsingSMPInstrument

If you have a C3, then you would assign the C3 sample in the sampleslot according to the movie to the C-3 note but also to the C#3, D-3, D#3 and so forth up until you reach C-4 where you assign your C-4 sample to this.
For the C-5 you do the same as you did with the C-3 and C-4, but with the C-5 you also attach the sampleslot to the C-6 and higher octave semitones as you don’t have a C-6 sample (at least i assume this).
And the C-3 you also assign to the B-2 and lower semitones as you probably don’t have a C-2 sample.

If you have only C3, C4 and C5 samples, this is a little low to fill a full octave with because the pitch of your samples change out of proportions when you raise the same sample three or more semitones up or down.

It would be nice to have a C-3, D-3, E-3, F#3, G#3, A#3 sample so you can span them no further than two semi-tones.

Thanks for this help. Is there help to make better loop with sample to not get the “scratch” sound during the loop ? (with forward, reverse or ping pong style).

Sound must be cleaner of scratch and i have problem to synchronise start and end of loop.

You can use the loop-editor ( ) to see the loop-points more closer and setting the snapping mode to zero-crossings, that might help out, but it depends on the sample-type if that will be sufficient.
With some wave types, the zero-crossing snapping mode does more harm than that it is helpful.

With ping pong loops, try looping at peaks! (to see why, draw a sine wave on a piece of paper and move a mirror across it).

Otherwise, practice a lot? It’s harder to explain it in words than to do it… I guess that’s why you’re looking for a video :D

Some stereo samples are slightly offset when you compare left and right side, in some cases looppoints can still be found, but if not you can make it mono. If you need it to bee stereo you can use a wave editor that allows you to slightly move on sside separate, this off cause changes the spectral image. I use sound forge for this kind of things.

I sometimes import a sample that already has a perfect loop point ready to use, anyone know where this data it added to the samples?

Not on a specific point, it depends on the header, that is a hideous thing with WAV samples, there are various different .WAV formats, some have an .smp header, some don’t, some samples have extra information stored about multiple loop points (even if there aren’t any multiple looppoints, but just extra header data) and some don’t.

I have tested that by creating a simple 440 hz sine wave with a single loop and stored it as a few different .wav formats there were.