Second song made in renoise

You should type in 200 Hz and Width 0%, just like this:
MB
There are some folks who prefer 150 Hz, but 200 Hz is the way to go if you ask me. If you type in 200 Hz and Width 0%. everything from 0 Hz to 200 Hz is mono, everything else stereo.

Yes, I also don’t have the best room conditions, that’s why good headphones are crucial. But personally my reference is my HiFi speakers when it comes to speakers. I’ve got some decent monitors (Genelec 8030 CP), too, but I still prefer the HiFi speakers. So what I do is mono mixing through my HiFi speakers and afterwards finetuning through my headphones. This way I can be sure that it will sound well on different systems. You know, the monitors are sound-wise pretty much the same like the headphones, but without the deep bass frequencies below 54 Hz. That’s why headphones are needed, too.

thanks for the help, ill get to it, i have never mixed anything before other then changing the volume of things, always thought i was wasting time messing around with knobs for hours and not actually doing anything, making music has always been priority for me, but i guess i have to waste some time learning how to do it so i can have a clean mix,

ok so i seem to have made things worse after adding high pass filters to everything except kick and bass with the analog filter, virtual mix rack compressors etc to drum but bass synths etc, i have everything gain staged but now it just sounds like shit, all the drums and synths are blending into each other now, been at it for 6 hours lol this is why i avoided mixing, i must be doing something very wrong because it sounds like shit although the bass is much cleaner now maybe i should of saved a copy of the original before i messed with things hmmm

shouldnt mixing take around 30minutes?

No. Mixing takes a couple of days. You need breaks in between to readjust your hearing. Sure, you could mix something ok in an hour, but if you really want a great mix, you need to have some breaks in between. You might know that your mix will sound different everyday. It depends on your hearing.

Of course, you added the wrong filters. :grin:
As I wrote you need to add HP filters and not LP filters, have a look:

You just have to think about it logically. What do you want to achieve? A clean mix and a loud bass. What makes the mix clean? Cutting the low frequencies of every instrument except the ones you want to be bassy. What does it need to achieve this? Highpass filters! Why? Beause only higher frequencies can pass this filter.

2 Likes

I’d agree, number one concept for a clean low end right here. Mono below 200Hz, too. Phase issues between kick, sub, and bass can also be a biggie, but that’s a bit more of an arcane topic. @TNT is giving good advice for anyone aiming for a good mix, especially in dance/bass oriented styles. Makes all the more difference on a big system :loud_sound:

A clean mix will minimize competition in the full frequency spectrum between different elements in the composition. There are many means of achieving this depending on style and arrangement. I like the top down mixing approach, where you anchor the most important elements (in my case kick, bass, snare, and leads, in that order) and mix everything else up to good levels in relation to those. Check your mix in mono! Especially if you’re going to play out. Entire elements can disappear from your mix in mono systems due to phase cancellation issues if you don’t fix them in the mix. Shit sucks. Been there and learned the hard way.

1 Like

i ment to say high pass xD, definetly used HP

What filter? What settings for what kind of instrument? Model?`Cutoff?
You should always check the spectrum, too!

I always use the “Digital Filter”. A few examples of how you could set it up:

Snare
dfsn

Hihat
dfhh

Acid
dfac

used analog filter, was assuming the analog was better for vintage sounds ? im probably wrong

snare
Renoise_2uPzgB01tP

tom
Renoise_qaLv3GmhmU

hihat
Renoise_L82TVnXnGS

pad
Renoise_AYnUKv8rxS

1 Like

yeah, you’d probably want to bump the resonance if using analog, or better yet, the 4P Moog mode, so the slope is steeper. usually you only need to low cut below 300Hz (or lower) to clean up the low end. You can add some nice fuzzy grit with the analog filter by dialing up the drive param a bit

I usually (almost always) use the 8n butterworth digital for HP on tracks and instruments when I’m not consciously trying to color the sound

And yes, use the spectrum analyzer! It helps to have eyes AND ears on it

1 Like

thank you, i have switch all to 4p moog,

should i even bother using the virtual mix rack analog compressors? or should i keep it simple and stick to the renoise compressors?

I dunno, man. I pretty much only use stock renoise dsp in my productions. It all depends on the results you’re after. The renoise compressors are generally good in my book

im going to stick with the renoise bus compressor i think for the bus’s etc, keeping it simple works well and renoise already sounds great so im not gonna over complicate things for now

In my opinion the “Analog Filter” colorizes the sound a little too much and is less direct in comparison with the “Digital Filter”, that’s why I prefer the Digital Filter. But any filter is good as long as you’re using it the right way.

Good decision. Now you just have to find out how to cut the right way. Remember, you don’t want to flatten the sound! You want the sound to sound better.(and to be clearer). So don’t cut too much. How to set the cutoff depends on the filter type. But always listen to your ears! And don’t forget to check the spectrum!

That’s a wise decision. “Keeping it simple” is my motto, too. Btw, I always use the Renoise “Compressor”.

Yes, that’s a good method and I’m using it, too. Nevertheless I mostly prefer Biquad with a little more Resonance. I think that way the sound stays as “original” as possible, at least to my ears. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

after some experience mixing i now realise how muddy that original track actually is

1 Like

Maybe you overmixed it now. My advise would be to not listen to others’ tips too much and instead trust your own ears, do comparison to references, test on multiple speakers. Everybody just has his/her very own workflow and favorite dsp and techniques. There might be some general rules, but most tips are very subjective and not objective at all. If it sounds good, just keep it like this.

good advice

Yes, as already written listening to your ears and checking the spectrum is important and key.
But without the basics of mixing there is no improvement, no matter how good your ears are. :wink:

is there a native device that will alter stereo to mono at assignable hz thresholds? or do you HP every stereo instrument at 200hz?

personally, I generally HP everything but kick and bass

if you wanted to mono everything in a mix below 200Hz using native renoise devices, you could set up a pre-master group with every track within it, then use a multiband send routing to two or three separate send tracks, stereo expander on the bass send (below 200) dialed all the way mono… I would still HP other stuff in this case though, to avoid phase cancellation issues below 200, so it ends up being kind of redundant for my workflow, at least as far as I can tell

I just use mono samples for my kick and bass and HP everything else above 150Hz (at the lowest) to 350Hz, generally, and don’t fuck with the sends. sometimes I’ll do some multiband processing in instrument fx chains on my bass and separate out higher frequencies for some stereo width and fx, but usually I just leave it mono

1 Like

Nice song! Renoise is inspiring as hell.