Semi Automatic Beatslicing In Renoise 1.9

This tutorial also has been added to the advanced video tutorials on the manual pages:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLcvf1VWTE

nice tut, I guess alot of people will appreciate it. But just a note, chopping up loops can never be overdone :)

Excellent vid, very well put together.

fun stuff nicely made with zooming and all, good for the renoise n00b! :)

What I do when I’m using old hand drummed funk breaks, is cutting a 1 or 2 bar loop into smaller loopable part & syncing these in the sample instr section according to their length to the tempo.

Then using snap I determine where a certain drumpart should ideally be, either cut out the silence manually if the snare or whatever starts to late according to the ‘beats’ ruler and paste this ‘silence’ at the end of the loop, or use the fade out button in the previous snap if it starts to early and thus mute the ‘click’.

This fading can tighten up a loop considerably, but can also remove the ‘attack’ out of kicks and whatever. Still, tho this seems like a lot of work, when you get the hang out of it, it beats loading up recycle and exporting slices to reload them back in renoise + you can create mega-tight loops.

vV has an extreme video-editing talent! ;)

Great!!!

always cool somebody takes the time to make a tutorial video!!

:yeah:

laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trust me but a Renoise noob would for sure not want to use these tricks when learning Renoise from the starting stage ;)
The only thing a renoise noob usually cares for is getting audio out of Renoise at all.
nothing more yet actually.

Good stuff!

thanks for the tutorial dude!! much appreciated!! :yeah:

WOW vV…

Awesome tutorial!!!

…I had done this backwards since today and your way of cutting the samples is simply genious…

:yeah: :yeah:

…would never have thought to switch to cutting that part of the sample =)

wicked…

Not wanting to sound unappreciative, but this method only works with pre-quantised samples. The video starts off by pointing out the problem with the live break (transients starting too early or late to fall on tempo-based points), then bypasses the problem by using a break that is much tighter. If you have a quantized break you might as well use sample offsets…

IMO if you’re using loosely timed breaks you have to manually chop to preserve transients when beat slicing. Or am I missing something here?

:)

No you are just quoting what i already mention in the video several times starting from almost the very beginning:the manual method is the preferrable one.

hmm…

it’s quite easy to adjust the bars so that the bpm is correct.

One thing comes into mind regarding this though - and this has got to do with renoise.

Coming from the viewpoint of inserting a loop, and chopping it in the middle of making a song - or after you have chopped one loop and already made a beat with it - it should work differrently, because now loading a loop to be chopped affects the bpm of whole song inside renoise, and why not just allow an independent BPM box to affect the bpm of the sample itself in the editor, like inside any other audio software?

I think no one makes their song 64 bpm if they load a loop that is 64 bpm inside it even if they started with the loop so now the feature is kinda counter productive.

Yeah, which is why something like the transient detector in Recycle or Reaper would be amazing in Renoise.

Just watched the tutorial today and found it very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to make something like this.

Imagine to set the marks on the sample editor to divide manually in fragments and once every mark is set press a button like “create drumkit from sample”

smells like a beatslicer… i know

hm, two suggestions:

1. instead of clicking “insert sample” everytime the little “+” knob is imho a bit more comfy. dunno, i would somehow have mentioned that in the video. but just a little idea.

2. if you don’t know the actual bpm of the loop and you don’t wanna trial’n’error it (which is actually not quite accurate most times), the ‘sync’ option in the sample properties may save the day. this could be worth mentioning as well, as this makes the correct setting of the bpm obsolete for correct/accurate beat snapping (on tightly produced beats of course). you then just can’t cut it out like described, but have to keep an “original” unchanged sample-instance of the loop where you take the various beats from.

i hope i made myself clear :s

but anyways. good tutorial.

btw: without ur beginners tutorials i would have been SOO lost at the beginning (i didn’t know what a tracker is back then). thx for your efforts :)

I think the next tutorial should go into ‘quantizing’ live drumming by chopping the parts and ping pong looping the tails, then ‘recreating’ the drum line via pattern at a desired speed, selecting, then rendering to sample, then use the method this video showed…

I don’t have a video capture program I can use on my compy to do it myself and video tutorials are always 100x more understandable, else I’d just write it out longhand…

Point 2 I totally forgot about it, that’s an idea i can still cut into very quickly.
But if the sample is being played very quickly at default base-note, you still keep downing your bpm to get at least a reasonable tempo.

Point 1:The plus, yeah was also something i overlooked, but hell that :P