Seq24/mpc Track Mute Alternatives?

hey all.
looking for a program that I can use to do some live drum pattern sequencing with.

MPCs have this feature called “track mute” where you can have a grid of sequences that you can just tap in and tap out and whether they’re highlighted or not determines if they’re playing.
great tool.
seq24 is basically direct software emulation of this, and it’s fantastic. however, pretty much unusable because it’s a mainly linux based program and the only windows version of it available is incredibly unstable and rendered useless.

so, any other suggestions for this guys and girls?
i don’t really want to go down the ableton route.

1. because it doesn’t really do exactly this, there are annoying methods for it, but nothing ideal
  2. don’t really want to splash out huge on this just to do some drum midi sequencing.

cheers, lou.

Use linux computer for sequencing and wire it to windows computer with MIDI cable. ;)

You can also do most things you can do in Seq24 in Renoise.

Hmm. not sure if I can get myself to splash out on a second laptop just to run linux and seq24 ;)

in what ways do you mean that you can do the same things in renoise?
i’m not entirely sure how Renoise fits into the live sequencing context that seq24 can.

i’m basically wanting to do like, live drum pattern sequencing, very basic stuff but being able to punch in and out different sequences on the fly, because the live performances we do are very spontaneous.

not sure how renoise does this.
expand?

Warming up this old thread … BUT:

wonderful SEQ24 features that you cannot do in Renoise are:

1. run sequences of different lenght synced at the same time
  2. cue a slot for mute on next loop

If Renoise had a view or feature that would do that it would be the best ever live-sequencer…
Problem is that the core of Renoise (like nearly DAW) run sequences only of same length.
Plus it’s a question of workflow … for me it would be heaven cause I try to do only one loop and Mute/Unmute tracks.
In fact, if seq24 would run stable and would do what it does as midi AND audio sequencer it would be my first choice for livestuff

Just found these…

Play from 2.12 if you dont want to listen to the rest even though its very much recomended if you have the time…

And if you want to the same with a computer, Renoise and Seq24…

Enjoy :)

PS If you dont have a tape recorder you could always use QTractor…

http://www.slackermedia.info/qtractor/index.html

The Alesis MMT8 is a nice toy :)

Problems with Renoise AND Seq24 will start (IMHO) when you start Jack. Using Renoise purely with Alsa is so fast and smooth … plus the developement of seq24 is a bit behind to write in gentile ;)

Renoise handles Midi very well incl. MCCs. It has not the “loop of different length”-thing, but actually the only thing I miss to come close to this kind of workflow is a Renoise-feature that “cues a track for mute” Cue For Mute

Handling loops of different lenght is so different to the way Renoise works, that it is impossible to implement without a complete rewrite of the core … but I can miss that…

Oh no :confused:
That “Why dont you buy an MPC” voice has started again!

gg You want a simple answer??
first: compare the costs of an MPC 1000 or 2500 (incl. JJOS) to a Renoiselicense
second: compare the displaysize of an MPC to a 19" or 21" screen of your computer
third: I have in mind that the MPC loops are mono and not stereo??
fourth: compare the total of pad of an MPC to those of a lauchpad

:) :) :) does this help??

btw. if you now dream of an MMT-8
first: try to get on in good condition
second: try to add a sample or play a vst :)

I did. I bought Renoise.

Ive come to the conclusion that some times restriction is a good thing.

Thats cool because drums are usally mono. Besides I’d be using it for sending midi loops to Renoise.

I have. Ive even looked into getting an MPD32. I think an MPC1000 with JJOS would be more fun and thats what’s its about for me.

It did help because it’s taken me a long time to come to a conclusion. Thats after buying Live and buying Renoise. I miss playing with a drum machine.

mmt8’s and Orbital are cool but Im a hip hop Dude :D

Not true. I use stereo loops all the time on my MPC1000 running JJOS OS2XL, however using the new live looper feature in OS2XL you are limited to mono.

Hi

I am not an expert on all this so excuse me for jumping in if I am wrong but I came across this the other day which might be useful for Linux/OS X users http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/

It’s only available as source at the moment but should be easy to compile. I have compiled it ok and only took a couple of minutes but I havn’t looked at it yet.

The manual explains more and section 7 may be of interest.

There’s some amazing audio stuff going on with Linux these days. Fedora 14 is certainly proving to be easy to grab source code and compile to be cutting edge.

The Non-Sequencer and the Non-DAW look fun.
Problem is … last commit in git is 15 months back, so is it still developed??

And for me … Renoise runs perfect on Linux … so I don’t want to change to another DAW/SEQ … I’m just searching my way to get the best for my workflow and I discover new things in Renoise every day :)

Oops you are right :(. First thing I normally do is see when the last commits are. SEQ24 is still being developed, just no binaries for win users. Non-Sequencer looked like it could have filled a gap.

I have learnt lots about music production this year and one thing I have found really cool is the non integrated way I can do things in Linux using JACK. So I am also discovering a workflow. Like I could use Renoise for automated stuff and then using Zynaddsubfx with a midi keyboard to play melodies. Or I can do it all entirely through Renoise and perhaps use Ardour to record. Or use Renoise to render to load into Ardour, etc. I am keen not to get tied into just one application.

The missus is getting me an Akai mpk25 for my birthday so I can have a bit more of a play :)