Share your drum synth vsti recommendations (was: Why are drum synth vsti so sparse and lackluster?)

steinberg backbone, was this originally an u-he product?

The drumsynth module in falcon is a 1:1 copy of microtonic ( feature wise )
I love creating drumsounds in zebra hz too
Renoise could really benefit from an audio rate lfo , linear or exp fm , just like microtonic .
It already has the drive curve post amp ( which shapes the envelope just like microtonic ) so that’s good for drumsounds but not always desired for non drum sounds

1 Like

You can still buy waldof attack , it’s included in the waldorf edition 2 but there are bugs
I loved it back in the day when it came out ( early 2000) , I even sold my electribe r after getting attack
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/overview-waldorf-edition-2

One can make Drum Synth in Renoise - using the native sampler with modulations and native efx.

Imho - one can make something minimal, electro 80ies sounding quite easy. CabSim efx can be used to achieve analgag saturation lofi feel.

Vst drum synth are doing the same - just providing more clearer interface - for advanced sounds they use samples anyway - unless they do complete physical simulation, but what is the point of that - since it all goes through the digital mix anyway.

It realy boils down to finding a sweet point with enevelopes, filter resonances and a bit of drive/saturation.

Check the attachment and feel free to use as basis template for your own.

RemskyR0R.xrni (410.4 KB)

Well, the instruments envelopes in Renoise are pretty imprecise, because they somehow always rely on the pattern resolution, which is really strange. Change the bpm and listen while listening to your kickdrum. I don’t think that it is a good idea to use Renoise for synthesis. Too many limitations, too. Esp. very modern drums need an accurate precision, for instance very important for pitch and filter curves, transients.

1 Like

As long as you use instant attack like this , the envelopes are pretty accurate and the transients stay intact

When you do this , they become imprecise
…all the evnvelope variations ( ahdsr , fader ) are really just macros ( not to be confused with the macro dials ) for the main envelope
I think this instrument is pretty snappy , no matter the lpb , all renoise synthesis
808.2 synthesis.xrni (670.1 KB)

Nope, it is always imprecise. You only hear it not so much with volume modulation. It becomes very obvious with pitch modulation or filter modulation + rez 100%. I also meant a “reversed” transient design, where you slightly remove an attack transient. In a final mix, this needs to be super accurate, but in Renoise you can feel that it somehow doesn’t really react, and then suddenly does pretty strong.

Also if you now change the BPM of the song, your transient will change. Even in the ms-mode.

Hence even the nice new curve modes are somehow useless, because it all is kind of randomly, based on your current BPM. I think the ms-mode should not dependent on any pattern resolution, just like it is in any other synth. This whole dependency on a pattern resolution makes the whole instrument section “semi-professional”.

P.S. It even sounds slightly different with each new hit.

Can you upload an example (xrns ) ?
I never had any issues with washy transients , but I also almost never change the bpm/lpb in a song
I am aware that the both filter and pitch modulation amount varies when adding a second curve in the envelope because of the interpolation time
See here
There are enough examples of tunes made with samples only and they all sound pretty damn good .
Don’t get me wrong , I can also get pretty anal about stuff not working as it supposed to be , but washy/dull transients is not one of them .
Let’s give us a real life example

No matter the bpm , lpb …the transient is staying intact , waveform is saw
1 1.1 1.2 1.3

And now an example where the waveform is a full dc waveform , so the rendered result is the actual shape of the
envelope , there is will show the issues with the envelope but not on the initial transient1.4

Anpther envelope , with known issues ( interpolation )
2 3

Maybe the transient stays somehow “intact”, but it differs. It should be 100% the same at any BPM.

Here is an example, change the bpm while playing. I guess that should happen for volume modulation, too, but I don’t know:
bug-bending.xrns (3.9 MB)

But maybe I did something wrong? Then you guys will find out for sure. But AFAIK it is a conceptual flaw, even the ms-mode is based on pattern ticks or so. If the speed changes, and the env is milliseconds-mode, then the actual points of calculation will interference with the required points. So the result will be “somehow similar”, but not as intended / precise as a normal synth.

Yep , but that’s because of the envelope shape , it all depends how long you consider a transient to be ( I meant the verry first milliseconds )
But you are right , the difference is verry noticeable when changing bpm , but how often do you do that ?
All in all , this should be fixed and is worth a new thread , have you reported it ?

1 Like

Her’s a rendered instrument of yours , recorded at 90 bpm (left channel) and 140 (right channel)
The section between 2-16 milliseconds is indeed completely off

1 Like

Yes, I reported it, got no answer and nobody cared. Thanks for your analysis. Since nobody cares, I will simply use a VSTi even for drum samples from now on.

Is that multi out?

It’s worth raising this topic for a long time.
in fact, this nuance is sometimes very unpleasant when creating a sound with native renoise instruments. Yes, this can be removed with the adsr attack settings, but in some cases (for example, using a delay) it may sound like an unnecessary click

Chow Kick is a free plugin based on a physical model of the 808 bass drum circuit. It can do a lot more than just kicks!

Edit: There is also EXC!TE, a free acoustic snare synth. It sounds good but the audio is glitched for me in Renoise (macOS). You might have better luck.

2 Likes

Haven’t done to much with it yet, and no synthetic production of individual sounds afaics, so samplebased, but the KONG instrument in Reason rack plugin has tons of kits which you can instrument grab in Renoise to mangle.

My favorites for electronic beats:

Microtonic

For Kicks:

Vps Metrum

For oldschool electronic:

Softube Heartbeat

For standard drums:

Sennheiser Drumica

I haven’t heard Attack by Waldorf for years now. It was the standard for electronic drums between 199x and 200X. Untypically for a Waldorf it sounded a bit thin. I should recheck this one.

Band In A Box was a thing to go for as well, because of the large sound library and the percussion styles. It was also quite funny to throw some Karaoke files in there (e. g. Sleeper in Metropolis) and hitting the styles button and change this into Salsa or Waltz. The interface is a mess, though.

Chow is an amazing developer
love chow tape and kick , his latest stompbox stuff BYOD is also damn nice , all freeware and great sounding
https://chowdsp.com/products.html

1 Like

With VCV Rack and chapter 11 from https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/LXR_manual_EM3ZTG5.pdf
you have a great start.

You even could make this in renoise. Perhaps you need white noise as wav, but the rest: all is there for this.
You even can layer different elements of your own drums (short noise impulse for the transient, sine for sub, square with pitch envelope for impact…
Then render it, tadaaaa.