Short circuit is now open source - Can some of it's features be incorporated into Renoise?

The short circuit sampler by vember audio was set free back in 2007 and now it’s finally now open source .
I wonder since it’s opens source , could the developers take any of the features/dsp algo’s of short circuit into renoise or would it mean an extra hassle to add these in a commercial product ?

2 Likes

what can it do that renoise can’t ?

Good news, maybe surge team will take this job.

As a standalone samper it was pretty unique and it had lot’s of features which were not present in renoise , altough that changed with renoise 3.0
Either way , it would always be nice to have some more effects with a different flavour .
I really don’t know if open source code can be used in a commercial program

3 Likes

As a sampler, it looks as if the basic job is the same. I’ve just taken a look at the Short Circuit Sampler’s filter and effect list, and that’s where this thing seems to have its differences. Quite a few different filters and EQs, and Phase Modulation (what is used/called FM in melodic synths), Frequency Shifting, and a whole bunch of other effects.

It’s not that the Renoise sampling engine needs to have them built-in to the sampler-screen, but as actual effect blocks would be nice.

Still missing granular synthesis methods. That’s what I’ve been begging for. So many different sounds available from that method, especially when paired with other synthesis methods. Quite incredible.

5 Likes

granular. yes, that would be a nice feature for a next renoise/redux release

2 Likes

@taktik Yay! I’m not the only one.

count me in. would be thrilled to have granular, FM/PM, even proper complex AM… anything, lol

2 Likes

This is awesome news! Shortcircuit was (and maybe still is) one of the best (if not the best) software samplers out there! It has a lot of things Renoise/Redux miss (all the things I complained a lot about in the past :slight_smile:). And it has a very fast workflow.

1 Like

Oh, I just realized that it is Shortcircuit 2 that was open sourced. This one was unfortunately very unfinished. Shortcircuit 1 was the awesome one.

Unfortunately it’s GPL, so useless to commercial software.

I would prefer some basic stuff additions to the renoise sampler first, before it goes granular or so… e.g.

• multiple filters in parallel or serial
  • more filters, maybe simply all available in Renoise in there, too? Esp. a bunch of “bread-n-butter” filters in 2p and 4p, bp/hp/lp. The current ones seem to be all pretty unique
  • maybe some helpful stuff for single cycle a.k.a. synthesis-like instruments, for example an internal pre-rendered resampling or even kind of very basic wavetable, using the slice mechanism and crossfading
  • saturation pre/post-filter routing (which would be solved with multiple filters)
  • 16 macros as in Ableton
  • Slices + non sliced waveforms
  • Enable / disable waveforms

Such stuff. See the rubberband addition. Though this addition was a great gift, it does not seem to be used a lot at all. Because it can’t compete with even the lowest today’s sampler standards anymore. So some “half-baked”, quick implementation of granular would IMHO a waste of developer time.

But I believe the focus of the Renoise team will be somewhere else. But who knows, me certainly not. Also any change on the sampler will also affect Redux. So this dependency already will limit the desire for changes. They don’t want to mess up Redux with some experimental stuff, I guess.

What exactly was so unique in Short Circuit which should be added? The workflow?

3 Likes

You seem to have misunderstood GPL.

Love to hear you explain how.

1 Like

One of the biggest annoyances is that the filter drive in the instrument settings is post filter,amp and thus affecting, saturating the overall shape of the amp envelope .,
This is not how filter drive works , filter drive should affect the input signal going into the filter but should not effect the amp stage 1

1 Like

Well, you state that it is useless to commercial software due to it being GPL licensed. Being GPL licensed and being commercial are orthogonal to each other. In fact, the right to sell your software is part of the very definition of free software. I would encourage you to read the GPL FAQ to better understand what this license entails (and what it doesn’t): https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html.

2 Likes

But… wasn’t lgpl the variant for commercial sausaging? Gpl needs to be open sourced AFAIK and that’s not possible with Renoise (relying on a lot of proprietary components).

Well, if we forget the fact that commercial and open source don’t exclude each other for a moment, in this particular case, it wouldn’t need to affect Renoise. We are after all talking about a plugin here, so you would not have to distributed it with the main application. So even if the Renoise team would pick up the code to make it into a highly integrated sampler (I am not sure why they would, given that Renoise already has a sampler which they could just improve directly), as long as they leave it a plugin that they distribute individually, then only that plugin would need to be licensed under the GPL.

Well, this is very theoretical now and not fitting the real world scenario we found with Renoise? The sampler is not a plugin, and they surely don’t want to open source Redux either.

So at least I understand it, radian was right here that it is impossible for the Renoise team to use any kind of GPL based software due license conflicts.

I’m pretty sure that if this other software is GPL, Renoise would not be allowed to bundle it in and then distribute their product (Renoise) as an opaque binary, as they do today — in order to use open source (GPL) code, they would either need to separate it from the proprietary code and leave it open or open their proprietary code.

Maybe Renoise devs could read the open source code and then implement their own version that’s not a copy. That happens all the time in proprietary code