Should I normalise all my samples?

Like the title says should I and how to do it in Renoise?I see a maximise volume in the sample editor is that it?

Yes, the maximize volume should be normalisation. It will amplify the whole sample so the most extreme positive (or negative…) value will hit the 1.0 (or -1.0) margin.

Doesn’t have to be done, unless you are unhappy with some very quiet sample, and wish to amplify it.

You should take care, if you have a long sample, and cut it into many small snippets. Under normal circumstances you will want Normalise the long sample before cutting, not each small one. This is because else every small sample may have a different amplification, thus leading to inconsistent volumes when using the samples.

2 Likes

What a great answer!!Thank you my friend.

Also, playing a lot of samples that are normalised to full scale will eat up headroom in your stereo bus like crazy. You’ll have to end up bringing mixer channels down a lot more to avoid distorting your output. Or you can make sure you have the track headroom set to something like -12db in the song options to give you more space.

1 Like

Good tip thanks.

By default I usually add a gainer on every track to be more flexible when adjusting the volume. It also looks better when the track faders are ~ at the same position :smiley:

3 Likes

I agree with this. There’s not much use in normalizing a sample afaik. Well, maybe if you plan to use different samples in the same track, which I seldom would.

1 Like

Maybe an actually useful way of normalization would be:

Calculate the maximum over a selection of samples (e.g. a drumset), including the manual set sample gain value, and then calculate the one found maximum for all samples and adding the manual set each manual gain to the sample, so in the end all samples have a manual gain of 0dB (consolidate manual gain). Incl. clipping prevention of course.

@joule

Or did @Ledger code this already?

1 Like

I usually normalize all samples, so i dont need to worry about too quite sounds or loops.

1 Like

Ney, not I

Thanks for the answer!!But i think Double derivative calculator would really be useful here…

@stoiximan. Although you have already marked an answer as a “solution”, my answer is that it is not necessary. Rather, it “depends” on the sample itself. Think that if you normalize all the samples it is very likely that you will have to correct volumes continuously lowering. It all depends on how strong you want each sample to sound.

If the volume of the sample is excessively low, you may want to increase its volume, but it depends on the essence of that sound.

Therefore, the ideal is that each sample has “an adequate minimum volume”. For example, you who use a piano, I do not recommend that you normalize it. Each instrument is a world and you must respect its essence, especially speaking about libraries of elaborate instruments.

Now, if we talk about percussion elements, you may want to normalize them and then adjust their volume. It depends…

So the answer is: “it depends”. I would not start to normalize all the samples as a rule.

1 Like

Agree with @Raul here, it’s not really something you need to worry about these days, especially when you have 32bit internal resolution

1 Like

Great tips you guys thank you all.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.