Show where/how many times this instrumentis used

I use a lot of recorded stems inrenoiseand often duplicate them to have them in different places, some chopped, some backwards, some with looped sections.

I would like to know how many times an instrument is used in the track - maybe how many patterns its in, or how many times its triggered.

Primarily because I have a stem and I want to know if this is the ONLY instance used - whether I can do some destructive editing or not.

…going further (sorry!) if we were able to highlight the tracks patternswhich contained this sample - that would be great. Pretty sure I requested this a few years ago but this form only goes back so far.

Thanks, I’m using renoise a lot at the moment

midierror

It would also be great to be able to highlight the selected instrument in the pattern matrix and pattern editor so it would be easy to spot.

Would something like this help?

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Using my own recorded samples and not wanting to repeat them in different songs.

I wrote a Ruby script to run through a folder of xrns files and grab a list of samples used and write out a text file. I didn’t care about regular instruments so I had to keep adding exclusions to make the results more readable.

It was a clunky way to approach it but it did help me keep track of some things.

Ruby was faster for me than trying to use Lua in a tool, but that would be a better way to go about it.

edit:

TOOL THREAD

Ah wow thats brilliant!! I’ll try it later, thank you

updated this a bit now (see changes at end of post)

let me know if any probs:

menu entries are in Intrument menu and tools menu (Ledger`s Scripts) and also a shortcut : “Check Times Instrument Used”

TOOL THREAD

Choose instrument you want to check from popup and [UPDATE] button to re-scan / scan a newly chosen instrument

TEXT READOUT

-The top section lists the track indexes which have at least one note of the selected instrument
-The bottom section gives you a pattern/ line breakdown of any notes in the selected track

Also another tool I remembered that could be useful along-side is taktiks Find and Replace:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/patterneditor-find-and-replace

changelog

–non-sequencer track message updated
–added joules speed improvements_ _--now when no notes are found in the selected track it will not list Pattern,Line multiple times. It just says:_ _NO NOTES FOUND IN CURRENTLY SELECTED TRACK X`:
–improved instrument popup numbering to match renoises hex numbering

-code tidy(er)
-added multiline_textfield to contain/ wrap text properly

1 Like

Nice one!

Ledger, you seem to be scanning the song twice? If you fix that, I can submit some further optimizations making the scanning a lot faster.

First loop scans all tracks to find the first instance of a note. It breaks/ returns when the first note is found.

Second loop scans the selected track only but gets all notes. <- lower part of text readout

There is a bit of an inefficiency as selected track has the potential to get scanned fully twice, but code seemed neater this way. Also a single string is getting edited as you go along the function. (sidenote: Also just silent updated to 0.62 above to deal with a formatting issue)

Any optimizations would be welcome! In fact if you have an abstracted snippet I could apply, it would probably do me good to finally learn properly the ‘ninja scanning method’ ! :ph34r: :slight_smile:

Updated tool to 0.7

edit:

TOOL THREAD

–added joule’s speed improvements
–now when no notes are found in the selected track it will not list Pattern,Line multiple times. It just says:
NO NOTES FOUND IN CURRENTLY SELECTED ‘TRACK X’:
–improved instrument popup numbering to match renoises hex numbering

Awesome, thanks for making this!The version i treid yesterday didnt work but I’ll give this a go today

Awesome, thanks for making this!The version i treid yesterday didnt work but I’ll give this a go today

Did you get a chance to test this yet. Does it work ok on your system?

this is awesome. Always love your scripts ledger!

1 Like

Always appreciate your feedback Rpnz, as being one of the regulars to pop into the announcement threads!

cheers!

Same here. I use them a lot.

1 Like

To count the occurances an instrument is used I use a tool Joule made based upon this suggestion thread; https://forum.renoise.com/t/done-tag-sampled-instruments-that-arent-used-yet/37439

Tool to be found a few posts down in said thread. It puts a number in front of each instrument.

Did you get a chance to test this yet. Does it work ok on your system?

Yeah, just tried it! Very nice, thank you so much. Its going to help me a lot!

1 Like

Yeah, just tried it! Very nice, thank you so much. Its going to help me a lot!

Good stuff! Not sure what went wrong before, but at least it works now.

1 Like

Yeah I’m really grateful for this. I’ve spent a week out of the studio so am putting it into practice now - its very useful!

@midierror , in case you’re interested I just added a new feature to automation-single-slider that shows you all the automated parameters in a song. (All Tracks Included)

Different sort of overview, but reminded me of this thread again.

auto song drop down

1 Like