Show where/how many times this instrumentis used

(midi error) #1

I use a lot of recorded stems inrenoiseand often duplicate them to have them in different places, some chopped, some backwards, some with looped sections.

I would like to know how many times an instrument is used in the track - maybe how many patterns its in, or how many times its triggered.

Primarily because I have a stem and I want to know if this is the ONLY instance used - whether I can do some destructive editing or not.

…going further (sorry!) if we were able to highlight the tracks patternswhich contained this sample - that would be great. Pretty sure I requested this a few years ago but this form only goes back so far.

Thanks, I’m using renoise a lot at the moment

midierror

Help with vb.views resizing
(TheBellows) #2

It would also be great to be able to highlight the selected instrument in the pattern matrix and pattern editor so it would be easy to spot.

(Ledger) #3

Would something like this help?

(James Britt / Neurogami) #4

I’m in the same boat. Using my own recorded samples and not wanting to repeat them in different songs.

I wrote a Ruby script to run through a folder of xrns files and grab a list of samples used and write out a text file. I didn’t care about regular instruments so I had to keep adding exclusions to make the results more readable.

It was a clunky way to approach it but it did help me keep track of some things.

Ruby was faster for me than trying to use Lua in a tool, but that would be a better way to go about it.

(Ledger) #5

Newer version below (Post 7)

(midi error) #6

Ah wow thats brilliant!! I’ll try it later, thank you

(Ledger) #7

updated this a bit now (see changes at end of post)

let me know if any probs:

menu entries are in Intrument menu and tools menu (Ledger`s Scripts) and also a shortcut : “Check Times Instrument Used”

ledger.scripts.CheckTimesInstrumentUsed_V0.71.xrnx

Choose instrument you want to check from popup and [UPDATE] button to re-scan / scan a newly chosen instrument

TEXT READOUT

-The top section lists the track indexes which have at least one note of the selected instrument
-The bottom section gives you a pattern/ line breakdown of any notes in the selected track

Also another tool I remembered that could be useful along-side is taktiks Find and Replace:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/patterneditor-find-and-replace

changelog

–non-sequencer track message updated
–added joules speed improvements_ _--now when no notes are found in the selected track it will not list Pattern,Line multiple times. It just says:_ _NO NOTES FOUND IN CURRENTLY SELECTEDTRACK X`:
–improved instrument popup numbering to match renoises hex numbering

-code tidy(er)
-added multiline_textfield to contain/ wrap text properly

Ledgers Scripts List
First occurence of instrument - how to do? DEJA VU SOLVED
(joule) #8

Nice one!

Ledger, you seem to be scanning the song twice? If you fix that, I can submit some further optimizations making the scanning a lot faster.

(Ledger) #9

First loop scans all tracks to find the first instance of a note. It breaks/ returns when the first note is found.

Second loop scans the selected track only but gets all notes. <- lower part of text readout

There is a bit of an inefficiency as selected track has the potential to get scanned fully twice, but code seemed neater this way. Also a single string is getting edited as you go along the function. (sidenote: Also just silent updated to 0.62 above to deal with a formatting issue)

Any optimizations would be welcome! In fact if you have an abstracted snippet I could apply, it would probably do me good to finally learn properly the ninja scanning method ! :ph34r: :slight_smile:

(Ledger) #10

Updated tool to 0.7

New Version (Post 7)

–added joules speed improvements --now when no notes are found in the selected track it will not list Pattern,Line multiple times. It just says: NO NOTES FOUND IN CURRENTLY SELECTEDTRACK X`:
–improved instrument popup numbering to match renoises hex numbering

(midi error) #11

Awesome, thanks for making this!The version i treid yesterday didnt work but I’ll give this a go today

(Ledger) #12

Awesome, thanks for making this!The version i treid yesterday didnt work but I’ll give this a go today

Did you get a chance to test this yet. Does it work ok on your system?

(Rpnz) #13

this is awesome. Always love your scripts ledger!

(Ledger) #14

Always appreciate your feedback Rpnz, as being one of the regulars to pop into the announcement threads!

cheers!

(Drop Shadow) #15

Same here. I use them a lot.

(Djeroek) #16

To count the occurances an instrument is used I use a tool Joule made based upon this suggestion thread; https://forum.renoise.com/t/done-tag-sampled-instruments-that-arent-used-yet/37439

Tool to be found a few posts down in said thread. It puts a number in front of each instrument.

(midi error) #17

Did you get a chance to test this yet. Does it work ok on your system?

Yeah, just tried it! Very nice, thank you so much. Its going to help me a lot!

(Ledger) #18

Yeah, just tried it! Very nice, thank you so much. Its going to help me a lot!

Good stuff! Not sure what went wrong before, but at least it works now.

(midi error) #19

Yeah I’m really grateful for this. I’ve spent a week out of the studio so am putting it into practice now - its very useful!