Sidechain My Electrotune Me Beautiful!

I’m not sure what the effect is, I’m fairly sure it’s something you can do with Renoise 1.9 - basically I want to do the lovely effect where the kick or bassline residue inverts the volume of all the other channels.

It’s probably best demonstrated on this tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJSdpsCTfE

Any ideas how to do this in renoise 1.9?

Ruairi

you should experiment with compressor on your beat/drums. especially with the bassdrum. you have bus compression in renoise 1.9

you will succeed ;)

edit: compressor is found in ‘track dsp’ (it’s a digital signal processor)
ps: welcome to the renoise collective

pouetism in the house! :o

doing a search for “sidechaining”, “sidechain” or “sidekick” will probably serve you better than getting back to that topic here again… it’s vividly discussed these days anyways.

I’m still not quite getting it right because a lot of other tools seem to have better tutorials. Could anyone link me to one that would be applicable to Renoise - or can someone help me do it?

Just a simple dodge sidechain would be great!

btw k303 - still love your music! :D

R

Hi rc55! Welcome… Check out this thread https://forum.renoise.com/t/sidekickv3-by-twisted-lemon/16949 read the comments for proper usage. Have fun!

that’s just because you are bored.

but what if he (like me) has got bored by sidechaining discussions?

just guessing here but then i suppose that he (like you) got bored by his (your) boredome of being bored of the evitable “boring” sidechaining discussions, which after all, is a subjective sensation and does not reflect the general opinion about this topic, which seems to be vice versa, since elsewhat there weren’t that many discussions being triggered by people which are not bored of the subjectively boring discussions about sidechaining.

correct me if i am wrong.

even though you are wrong, I will not correct you, so proving that you were wrong in your above message.

now sidechain this message…

The answer, quite simply, which apparently noone has bothered to give you is this: Renoise does not support sidechaining as of yet, though there are various workarounds (hacks) and VSTs which may or may not get you the desired results. It will apparently be included in a forthcoming release however.

To me those mixes just sounds like if someone is turning the volume knob up and down.

With risc of sounding stupid one could probably just send all tracks except the bassdrum to a volume automation sendtrack then sedning the bassdrum to another track.

Sidechaining is often overused but is not useless if you are having trouble with some frequencies that are overlapping in some areas of your song. Instead of looking up all those areas by hand/eye sidechaining can be handy that it can react at a frequency you set. It’s a tool… not a style.

i saw boredoms last night,
and that was a huge sidechain on stage.

same setup PLUS
ten guitar necks
feeding ulteamate
e F F E C T S 0.o.x

distortion
controlled chaos
arcs flamin thru nervends.
what else you can even wish.

so,
just f****ing go for it!
sidechain yourself!

sorryot.

I’ll just add some advice I got from a dnb producer:

Sidechaining has got a lot of press of late, especially due to that Eric Prydz track, but an important point with regard to it’s trendiness is being missed…it was mainly useful in situations when automation wasn’t available.

If you have automation of gain/volume/level of your bass, you can cut it down to let the kick through at the appropriate point with more precision than a sidechain plugin would offer.

In short, forget sidechaining, and automate volume on your bass track (or alternatively, simulate the Eric Prydz trick of automating a high pass filter to cut out the bass’s low end when the kick hits.)

I totally agree with your logic, but Renoise’s tick-based automation is not nearly as precise as a compressor plug that operates in ms.

@rounser
sidechaining simply triggers the functionality of a compressor, which of course is an amplitude-altering device after all, but if you say you can simulate that 1:1 by volume automation, then you’re basically saying you can also simulate compression just by automating the volume - and that’s at the latest the point, where doubts arise over here.
it will always sound different and besides that, it would be a real pain to pull off the automation as soon as the source signal is not just a straight 4/4 kick with constant volume.
whoever that dnb producer was who said the above - it appears he merely wanted to say something that sounds clever, without actually thinking about the diverse field of application where sidechaining comes in very handy.

Ok, i’ve got a completely new thing for you dudes and dudettes!
THE SIDECHAINSAW!
It’s a simple chainsaw, with it’s chain slightly to the side, yo.
Well, you can say “so what’s the trick here?” and i’ll answer:
the trick is now you can pump that big ass pumpin’ sound you typically got by simple comp_sidechaining (used mostly in production of low-chakra club dancemuzakk, not your einsturzende neubauten masterpieces), only much enhanced by wielding a CHAINSAW with its CHAIN ASIDE!
Sidechain my brain, babe.

With pleasure. <_<