Simple multi-drag and scale operations for Renoise EQ

Hi,

I love the tone of the Renoise EQ. But when it comes to detail work, it is a bit retarded. Here is an idea how to improve workflow with it in a very simple way:

1. Selection of multiple points and then dragging selected points at once. For example, if you transpose something you might simply want to move all eq points accordingly on x-axis. But also on y-axis it might be very helpful.

2. Scaling / stretching of the selected points, by holding down a modifier key and dragging up/down. The mouse position can be the center of the scaling, around which the points will be scaled in distance. Also in x/y-axis.

3. Multi point resonance editing, by selecting mutliple points and dragging while right mouse button drag.

I think these three additions would heavily improve usability and also are only GUI/workflow modifications.

1 Like

+1 but also a larger GUI that can be blown up in a separate window. I find finer EQ moves much, much easier in a larger GUI. Having it all inline is so difficult to work with.

Also multiple EQ curve selection per point would be helpful.

Ok one, more…I would also love an auto gain compensator, for quick EQ comparisons.

2 Likes

this. I mostly use third party eq because in renoise eq is so small, and i do not find it comfortable

this is why i love TDR slick eq (and really all tdr plugins :stuck_out_tongue: )

Sure sure, but this is about improving the internal EQ5 with minimal effort, by “just” adding some workflow enhancements. I really like it’s sound and it is also more convenient for me to use EQ5, which is directly displayed in the chain, than using a popup window EQ. Of course a commercial EQ might beat EQ5, still I like the rusty sound of EQ5. It is a very well designed EQ.

Oh I agree. I don’t want the popup GUI to be necessary, just an option. Still have the inline display as well. Why not have both?

I just can’t use EQ5 very often because of the small display…

Love Slick EQ, but sometimes it’s too ‘colorful’ for me and I just want something more plain, you know?

Personally my favorite lately has been DDMF’s IIEQ. I also love how it’s easy to use the parameters for automation. Some plugins have so many parameters that you run out of room to use them for pattern automation!

before stating such (in my opinion - wrong) things, please read some documentation from the developer - about that specific plugins (if you really don’t plan investing time in reading how digital eq’s really work (put aside non-linearities that are involved in certain ‘eq emulations’ which involve a lot of ‘warmth’ and such…))

did you try the ‘null test’ by yourself before claiming such thing? or is it modern to write nonsense all over the place just because you can?

if you meant non-linearities (distortion) then, NO, - it doesn’t ‘color’ the sound unless you engage distortion stage…(which still doesn’t alter sound unless you boost a lot).
Let’s avoid technical debate, since this is not the topic.
but eq is indeed a tool to color a sound… to boost or attenuate or notch freq’s out… and many more things…

Actually use Slick EQ all the time…love it! :slightly_smiling_face:

i think simple “external editor” would solve gui issues, like there are for envelope editors within modulations tab

1 Like

+1 for being able to pop out eq into big ui. Reaper’s eq is great in this respect

and if on the subject of improving the usability

make the mixer meters bigger and with readouts please!

1 Like

From my point of view, the change proposal should not destroy what EQ5 or EQ10 is already capable of doing.
On the other hand, any new feature added to EQ5 should be in EQ10 and any other similar equalization graph, for consistency.

EQ5 and EQ10 have some interesting features, which should not be modified:

1. ALT + Left Click & drag= horizontal displacement of the point preserving the db value.
  2. SHIFT + Left Click & drag= vertical displacement of the point preserving the frequency value.
  3. CTRL + Left Click & drag= slower free point displacement, for greater accuracy.
  4. CTRL + ALT + Left Click & drag= slower point horizontal displacement, for greater accuracy.
  5. Right Click & drag= modifiy the width of the band of the point.

The features it does not offer:

1. It does not show the value of db in the graph when moving the point. This is necessary for the user to obtain accuracy if he only shows the graph. It is not enough to see only the horizontal lines.
  2. It is not possible to select multiple points to drag together. Within this section there could be two ways of dragging (2 keyboard + mouse commands, currently free):
    1. Increase / decrease all db values equally, vertically.
    2. or Increase / decrease all values exponentially vertically (the farther a perimeter point is from the drag point, the less its db value will be modified).

This implies having a keyboard command for the operation of selecting multiple points.

Once the multiple points are selected, it is a different situation (different condition). Then, everything new must respect everything that the EQ5 / EQ10 is already capable of doing.

Anyway, the modifier keys CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, allow up to 7 combinations for a click. The user would have to be an expert in controlling all that. If you have 3 clicks (left, center, right), there are up to 21 possible combinations.

Well, you can create your own preset, being more precise with the bandwidth of each point, for example, using the value 1 (or 0) at each point. Thus, your color palette would be wider.

I would propose a somewhat different thing: remove EQ5 and EQ10, and create only one EQ5-EQ20 device, in which each user can determine the number of points to add, with a range of 5 to 20 points (or 5, 10, 15, 20). Add in it all the mentioned characteristics. Here it would be a luxury to have a larger, optional floating window graphic.

Having EQ5 and EQ10 separately is somewhat redundant. The EQ5-EQ20, could be very useful for the master track, to make subtle touches with total precision.

This new device could simply be called “EQ”. This would be simpler and more complete.

This. +1000

Just make the new EQ backwards compatible to EQ5 and EQ10 :wink:

Ok ok ok ok ok, loooots of ideas. This wasn’t the general EQ talk thread though :upside_down_face:

Sorry about that! :grin:

I think we all have some great ideas to make the EQ tool so much better. But I think we all agree a larger GUI would be essential.