Simulating Sidechaining In Renoise

Tough I’m wondering if there’s a way to trigger the LFO to cycle only once at each “1600” input and then stop until it’s triggered again. This would make it much easier to use the sidechain effect on an irregular/non 4-4 pattern.

Any ideas?

You can turn the LFO off wherever you want it to stop. In this case use 1F00. To trigger it again use 1F01 along with 1600.

I’m finding this discussion, and all the other related threads pretty interesting.

I’ve controlled the parameters of one sound group with the dynamics of another sound group in a several different ways; implementing vst compressors that have sidechain inputs, sequencing volume effect commands, sequencing envelopes, sequencing lfo resets. Some implementations can only affect amplitude, but others can be fed into any parameter.

Personally, I am finding the LFO reset method to be the most versatile and meaningful. It can be assigned to any effect parameter, and can be tweaked to not only do whatever you want as far its attack, release, inversion, etc go, but it can be treated very precisely and musically.

The goal is to get one sound initiate a change in another sound in a way that becomes expected by the listener as they get used to it. Although the lfo method wont really work to duck an external sound source, like a dj talking over a mix, i think the lfo method has the most musical potential.

Good way of sidechaining! Thanx I was also looking for a native method.
But I think it’s better when you let the lfo device control a compressor’s treshold and use the 1600 command for the trigger. Then you have made your own sidechaincompressor!

Works perfect!!!

No, you haven’t made your own sidechain compressor. You have made LFO controlled threshold compressor. :)

Either way it’s very practical approach.

LULZNOTSIDECHAINING

Srsly… when will people stop calling synchronized volume ducking sidechaining? That’s like saying automation and LFO are the same thing.

link was not work=( please upload example again! :walkman:

sorry to sound like a total noob,but what is sidechaining exactly?I hear the term used a lot with regards to sequencers normally ;)

Sidechaining = using the peak volume levels of a track as a controller for an effect parameter, either on the same track, or a different track.

This is why using an LFO doesn’t count… it doesn’t monitor the amplitude of a track.

Just wondering… why would this be better then a simple gainer automation? Is it just a matter of preference?

Nice alternative technique though :)

oo so i was reading up a bit…a basic situation it is used is when a radio dj starts talking the volume of the song or watev is triggered to drop as his voice comes in,is that right?

Basically, you’re using the volume of one track to clutch down on another. So if you have a base drum kicking away, you can have a base line “dodge” everytime it hits.

But I’d rather see it implemented even more flexible: so that it would be possible to use the sound output of one track to alter any effect parameter… Could be interesting to have a rythmic sound distort a pad for an example…

Most decent setups can do this

Well sidechaining has many meanings. My behringer mdx1400 (hardware dynamics processor with compressor) has sidechain send and sidechain return and this is used for sending the signal out to another fx processor, for example eq, for external processing and then back again (as simple as the name… you put the signal on a sidechain. This way the signal can be processed by the eq before it is returned to the compressor which then compresses the desired freq-bands for de-essing etc, and this is just one way the sidechaining can be used.

I guess that peak volume level is far from the only truth about sidechaining, but the sidechaining that most people are hunting (as far as I understand it) is the one that occurs if a signal is directly put into the sidechain return and the compression is set to be controlled by the signal from the sidechain return. This way a kickdrum can compress the bass signal that is being processed by the compressor or whatever.

I personally just want the ability to control any effect parameter with amplitude data

Ask Justice. Or anyone else on the Ed Banger label. An entire genre of dance music has been developed around the use of hyper-compression. It is far from being just an automatic volume control.

Very true. It’s now an aesthetic, right at the front of the stage. Not a hidden invisible tool that only sound engineers noticed.

I have used this technique with the lfo effecting the volume…it works well. Except like you say I do hear the ramping of volume on the bass…any suggestions? How do you enter 1600 in the send track…I am new to renoise…nothing types when I try to enter it. Thx.

Right click on the LFOs “Reset” button. This will write down automation for it (same for all FX sliders and so on).

Am sorry, i know what a compressor does :) but never heard of sidechaining until today!.

Whats the difference between sidechaining and a compressor? i mean a compressor also monitors your peaklevels and adjust constantly?

i heard about limiters/expanders/maximizers/exciters/compressors/gate/harmonizers you name them, but never of “sidechaining” :unsure:

Is there even more?