Sinewave Experiment

hi taktik :)

i have a newer version of this, still unfinished but 80% ready, i think.
ofcause you can do anything you like with that, would be a great thing to have this as a demotune
inside renoise. i`ve already send an mail like vV recommended.

so here is a newer version

sinewave v2

i will finish it this weekend and i have to fix some of the effect chains ect :)

Thanks Kasmo. Could you send it over to me when you think its done? -> mail: taktik/renoise/com

jep :)

so much love :)

how did you get harmonics into the sine wave? from a start, a sine is only the fundamental with no harmonics, but the song has tons of rich harmonics in its samples :) how did you take that sine and get those harmonics inside? just distortion and multiple passes of eq/exciting/etc?

this isnt a big deal, just use the internal lofimat, this plugin has an noise parameter! and ofcause ive used a lot of distortion and stuff.

btw this is a question the guy asked, too. that`s why he think that this is impossible.

just download the file and everthing will be clear.

Thumbs Up!
Nice experiment, Congrat for that.

Hi,

Interesting thread.

I have actually been doing this for a long time, but in a slightly different way.

I have been making songs with the only source being the pen tool.

Here is my approach…

1. I draw an approximate sine wave on the sample editor. Doesn’t matter what pitch or whatever it it.

2. I clean up the ends and apply a smooth function.

3. I maximise the wave and smooth again

Repeat literally hundreds of times quickly, until I have a smooth wave

1. Copy the wave over and over again on the same sample, to make a long wave.

2. Smooth it again a few times, and maximise the volume.

From here, the rest is just standard stuff.

For drums, I play the sample very high up the keyboard, they take a tiny slice, distort, render, compress, etc and add an envelope; this is a hi hat.

The Kick drum, I take a small section of the wave, and envelope it with pitch so it goes from high to low. Render and do again, but the second and third (and fourth, and fifth) time, I use more specific shaping envelopes.

Tonal stuff is made by distorting the orginal wave to get some harmonics in there, then fine tuning, duplicating, adding more effects, etc, cleaning up, and multi sampling.

You get the picture.

Renoise is amazing, because you don’t need anything other than the app to make music. Draw your samples, and use the engine to do everything.

You can totally make amazing songs with nothing other than Renoise.

and having just had a proper look through your song, Kasmo, you did a very good job!! Inspirational!

true dat! problem is, although possible, many sounds are (obviously) very difficult to produce from a sine wave

True, I like to use these collection of single cycle waves if it’s unimaginable to bend a sine to a specific shape.

http://galbanum.com/products/architecture-universal/

This is really inspiring. I knew it was possible, but I just wasn’t sure what tools could be used to pull out specific sounds. Thank you so much for providing the XRNS so that I could study and learn from this. I also really like this as a tune. :)

I have one question though, why did you choose to use DC offset? I think I understand what DC offset is… shifting the waveform up/down from the 0 crossing… but I’ve never understood what effect that has on the sound and always heard it was an “undesirable” thing for mixing. Do you use it to intentionally shape the waveform in a certain way or did you discover you liked the way it sounded in your chain and left it in? Thanks! :)

hi baze :)

i just liked how it sounded, if you disable the dc offset at the “fx hat” tracks you will notice that the release
is a bit shorter. the whole tune was done by try and error, ofcause i also know what i do.
but a lot sounds were experimentation only by using non traditional fx chains.

for a real mixing guru the whole tune might be a “no go” <_<
but as the goal was to do everything with only one sinewave, i think it is okay

greets

kasmo

Experiment achieved. Great stuff.

@kasmo: Thanks for the reply. I’d say you were definitely successful with your experiment. I only asked because I’ve never heard any audible effects from the dc offset aside from adding an excessive amount of amplitude to the signal and horrible pops. You got it sounding better than I ever have for sure :)

Sorry for necro bumping but does anybody still have the xrns from the OP?