Skrillex Dubstep?

When im listening to skrillex, there are moments wher im truly enjoying it, only to be bombarded by the coming wobble bass. it feels to me forced and uneeded. Almost as if skrill feels aas thoug he doesn’t use it his audience wont accept it as genuine dub. This i believe will inevitablly permanently date his music. I have a personal dislike for the wobble effect as a bassist. i feel like it really limits movement in the bass and stagnates the harmony. I just feel like their are other aspecs of dubstep that are more interesting, and the wobble is just a cliche. i guess alll aspects of style are, but this is one i just dont like that happens to have what i think is a negative impact on the harmony of the music. Pedal tones can be interesting, coltranes naima is a good example, but in this case for me it make the music kind of boring because its just not harmonically interesting enough for me. this is just my opinion of course, and as i said there are other aspects of the music that i find mre interesting.

On the bright side, circa 2032, the wobble bass of the early 2010’s will make a comeback in some new, richer, higher-tech variant :) Yay for future-retroism.

Tru dubstep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5jNd5LWxQ&t=1m15s

Sigh I’m going to be honest. This has gone on long enough. I may not be now… but I WAS a true Skrillex fan.

Back when he was in From First To Last, I seriously idolised the guy, look at an interview with them and hear him bang on about Emo and you can already see why this guy was special. He left following ‘Heroine’, which was so electronic in areas it was unreal, I believe probably due to the success of the Untitled track or ‘Dead Baby Kickball’ on the 'Dear Diary…" album. Anyway, once he left he wrote brilliant songs like ‘Equinox’, ‘Concentrical’ and ‘Copaface’, his first songs. Entirely electronic. Later on, after having a small following of fans who really liked the fact he used to post his lyrics (Personally I love the lyrics to Glow Worm) and provided a kind of alternative, Aphex Twin inspired, Bjork influenced artist who supported other small artists (He had Endless Hallway as his top friend on MySpace, which was formerly /sonnysound. Skrillex was born as a side project, he even told his fans not to worry, Tracks like ‘I Am Skrillex’ had a kind of Electro House feel to them, listen to ‘Slats Slats Slats’, notice the Massive preset ‘Hard Electro’ at the intro and you know you’re listening to a beginner, but a beginner of talent, frankly I believe it was from tracks like that, where he really played with his vocals that you get to see the direction he was heading. Check out ‘Father Said’ and hear the halfstep and that now intantly recognisable kind of bass. That song was one of the last tracks along from ‘Turmoil’ that we hear Sonny sing without being cut up. Listen to the intro of Bells (For You) and you’ll recognise ‘You’re pocket hands’ sung. That sample was used in Scary Monsters and Nice Spites, the very song that was free for about a day before we had to buy it on Beatport. That track was the first track released on Mau5trap. The label that I genuinely believe kind of ruined Skrillex. I remember seeing Skrillex live when he supported Chiodos, he was Skrillex on the ticket, but I own two tshirts that say Sonny on. I met him and he was so nice, he was exhausted but so kind, and when I told him I was going to make music too, he wished me the best of luck and shook my hand. I’m proud to be honest. Now, yes fair enough he’s re-using that same, heavy bass, glitch here, vocal cut there, hard, compressed snares and house kicks and whoopdeedoo he’s on the charts and now idiots think they are his icon. But strangely. I’m happy. I supported that guy through thick and thin. I had the music video to ‘Mora’ on repeat because I liked woman drinking the on button. Yes Skrillex fans, he had music videos before he had heavy basses. But you know what? If it wasn’t for guys like him I wouldn’t be making music. Stop hating on a guy that is mainly mentioned because people are trying to sound like him. Stop debating whether it’s Dubstep, it may not be conventional Dubstep, but Dubstep has evolved. Brostep is ridiculous, even Rusko says so, Gorestep is for Borgore, just so that he thinks he’s doing something totally unique but actually not so. So the nest time you are going to slag off Skrillex, just consider the fact that he used to be one of us, he just made it. Seriously though, if youb want to blame anyone: blame Deadmau5. I do. I really do, because I imagine he’s the guy saying, ‘Hey, Sonny. Make sure it sounds like last time. Hard and glitchy.’

Moan all you like, but when I inspire someone like Skrillex has inspired me, I am going to search for these pages just to laugh at the fact that you all, like it or not have heard my name.

and I would still be a fan, it just kind of bores me a litle now. In moderation. He is brilliant. No, not the greatest, but he’s up there.

Amen.

blame Deadmau5  

It’s soooooooooo 2008.

You know what.